low pressure vs high pressure

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
patrickmathews
Bot?: No

low pressure vs high pressure

Post by patrickmathews »

I have a VR8300A3500 connected to a BG10 burner. I am using propane. I found that the BG10 needs an orifice to get a proper blue flame. I have only been able to test with a turkey fryer hose and not with the VR8300A3500. I have tested with the honeywell valve and it works but I get a orange sooty flame (not enough air). I posted this question at the HBT forum and someone said that the VR8300A3500 and BG10 are not compatible due to the BG10 being high pressure and the honeywell valve only working with low pressure. Is this statement correct? If so, I need to make some changes. What burners are compatible with the VR8300A3500 using propane? I am doing 10 gallon batches so I don't need anything too crazy (and I'd like to use as little propane as possible).
gbrewer

Re: low pressure vs high pressure

Post by gbrewer »

You will need a .5 PSI regulator for the gas valve you reference. If you push higher pressure (over .5 psi) propane through the gas valve, you will eventually damage the valve. You also want to make sure you have converted your gas valve from natural gas to propane using the supplied kit.

You can use a propane jet burner or certain banjo burners as .5 psi. I have some videos on my website showing the various flames with .5 psi propane being applied.
ksl177

Re: low pressure vs high pressure

Post by ksl177 »

This is probably a question better suited to a different forum as it's not a BCS issue. That being said, you need a low pressure regurlator that can handle the total BTU output of all your burners on the same feed simultaneously.

Something I've learned the hard way. ;)