New Automated Setup

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
disco stu
Bot?: No

New Automated Setup

Post by disco stu »

Hi All,
Attached is a proposed automated valve layout for my new brew rig that I was hoping I could get some feedback on.

Its 2 tier in which the HLT gravity feeds into the mash.-Would I be able to use a timer with the BCS and roughly calibrate required mash in volumes based on time?

The manual ball valves are to control flow rates from the pump.

I know this looks like a lot of valves but I really only want 1 pump. With one water inlet, and 1 water outlet. (The squiggly lines will be silcon hose).

Im planning on using all tri clover fittings however I'm having a few problems locating the 4way tri clover crosses. Any ideas where I might be able to buy some?
Proposed Valve Diagram
Proposed Valve Diagram
valve diagram.jpg (115.94 KiB) Viewed 3642 times
gbrewer

Re: New Automated Setup

Post by gbrewer »

If this was my setup, I would add another pump and eliminate some of the valves and piping. You are going to find the cost for those parts are going to be more than an additional pump.

You can add a float switch to the MT. Once the fluid from the HLT rises to a certain level in the MT, the valve would shut off. The float switch wires to the DIN port of the BCS460.

Or.... You could add a float switch to the HLT. Once the fluid drains past a certain level in the HLT the valves shuts off. You would just measure the amount of water you put into the HLT. Perhaps you start with 8 gallons in the HLT. YOu want 3.5 gallons to mash in. You could place the float switch at the 4.5 gallon mark. Once it reached 4.5 gallons the valves would close. Make the float switch level adjustable for different beer styles.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

that is a scary number of valves.......

there is a 1.5" on eBay cheap.. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1%2 ... &_from=R40
bbrally

Post by bbrally »

If I were to start over again I'd make my structure with fewer valves. The extra valves add complexity and cost to the structure and add extra things to keep track of when programming.