Temperature probe stopped working

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Temperature probe stopped working

Post by gbrewer »

This is probably a vague and basic question but I need to know what to check.

I wanted to start simple with the BCS so I started with a single kettle extract batch. The temperature was controlled within 1 degree +- my set point which was awsome. I completed my initial process of steeping the grains and removed the temperature probe from the kettle. It is installed as a ECC default probe right now using their fittings.

I removed the probe from the compression fitting to scrub out the kettle. Once the kettle was scrubbed out, I replaced the probe and filled the kettle with some iodine to circulate about some hoses.

I noticed that the temperature probe is now reading as 0 degrees. I checked the cable for any crimping, melting, or twisting and could not see anything. The cable was away from the heat during the steeping and worked up until the end of the process. How do I check to see if the probe went bad? This was the first complete batch with the BCS and the ECC probe. My other temperature probe seems to be working properly.
ECC

Re: Temperature probe stopped working

Post by ECC »

Hey gbrewer. One of 3 things is happening, bad connection, bad probe, or a problem with the BCS. It should be very easy to identify with an experiment. Disconnect the 'bad' probe, and a 'good' probe. (both wires). And then swap them. After you hook them both back up, if you see 2 correct temp readings, it problem was a bad connection. If the zero reading followed the probe, it was a bad probe, and if the zero stayed put, it must be the BCS. Let us know what you find. If its the probe or BCS, no worries, we stand behind our product and you'll get a new one asap.

Another test if you suspect the probe would be to hook it up to a multimeter and measure the resistance. It should read anywhere form 10000 to 12000 ohms depending on the ambient temperature.
SoCalBrewer

Post by SoCalBrewer »

Now that is great customer service. No problems here and loving my BCS
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Thank you for the timely response. I will complete the tests as instructed tomorrow.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I appreciate your offer of standing behind your product! That really is great service. It turns out that it wasn't the product at all. Somehow the green connecter that the wires fasten into had backed away on one of the corners. I simply snugged the connector back into its place and it worked properly. It probably happened when I was securing the unit into the waterproof case.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

gbrewer wrote:I appreciate your offer of standing behind your product! That really is great service. It turns out that it wasn't the product at all. Somehow the green connecter that the wires fasten into had backed away on one of the corners. I simply snugged the connector back into its place and it worked properly. It probably happened when I was securing the unit into the waterproof case.
now that you mentioned it ... is there a problem with heat dissipation if you enclose the whole unit in an air tight plastic case? like a tupperware with the wires all silicone sealed? not any SSR's just the BCS ..
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I checked the SSR's while running them during my initial process. The SSR that was firing up the 24v gas valve was not warm at all. The SSR's for the pumps were slightly warm to the touch after completion of an entire brew. The SSR's are not directly mounted to the case. I am using a stand-off so air circulated around them. I also am not using a heat sink. I suppose if you are running an electric element with a heat sink mounted in a case it would get very warm. I mounted the SSR for the element in a seperate electrical outlet box covered by a blank.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I am actually referring to the control unit BCS not anything else. my heater SSR's are on heat sinks and the other ones are mounted to the back of my metal box with heatsink compound. if you totally waterproofed just the BCS would it over heat?
np0x

Post by np0x »

In my experience the heat generation is related to the amps going through the set. My pumps(1-2 amps) don't make much heat compared to my 1500 watt elements. Those ssr's were up in the 120f temp range after amy hour with no heatsink-I will be fixing that!
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

bsfixit wrote:I am actually referring to the control unit BCS not anything else. my heater SSR's are on heat sinks and the other ones are mounted to the back of my metal box with heatsink compound. if you totally waterproofed just the BCS would it over heat?

Interesting idea.