Temperature probe stopped working

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
bsfixit

Re: Temperature probe stopped working

Post by bsfixit »

see humidity gets to 100% and dew points . amount of water measured in the air gets up to 81 deg. F in the past. with 79 deg common. its like living in a steamy shower during the summer here in FL. My brewery is outside so I made the BCS unit detachable from everything else. I would have to open the metal box and attach the BCS with velcro and plug it all in with quick connectors every time I brew. I want to enclose the BCS and possibly a network bridge into a water proof box. I would think the bridge I might have issues with but I am not sure about the BCS unit .
maybe ECC support can chime in on this..
I hope to brew this weekend BTW I have a new 55 lbs of Franco- Belges 2 row pale ale malt 2 lovibond I want to try...

oh and sorry to Hijack this thread .. I should have started a new thread , sorry gbrewer.....
ECC
Bot?: No

Post by ECC »

The BCS will be fine. It only generates a few watts, and doesn't require a lot of air circulation. Ideally you could keep the wall wort out of the sealed container, since it will generate some heat as well..

There is another alternative, which I saw posted by someone else on this forum (can't remember who, sorry). They just mounted the BCS inside, and ran wiring for the SSR control and temp probes. That way all of the electronics are out of the weather. Bring out your wireless laptop for monitoring.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I am sorry "wall wort" ? you mean the transformer? do you think it would be ok as long as it doesn't get physically wet. or can very high ambient water vapor harm the unit.. I am really thinking of incasing it while trying to make it able to sink heat away from the BCS.. thanks
ECC
Bot?: No

Post by ECC »

wall wort = transformer. Although the BCS doesn't generate a lot of heat, it needs to be dry. It will work reliably upto an internal temperature of 185degF (85C). You can monitor the internal temperature by going to the "Thermo Test" page, and looking in the TempInt column.

One of our beta testers (I won't name names) decided that his beta unit needed hosed down, and accidentally soaked his BCS-460 with a hose during post-brew cleaning. He let it dry out and it still works without issues. Everything is surface mount, no wired connections or moving parts. But this is obviously not recommended. ;)
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

Thanks ... I doubt it could ever reach 185 in a tupperware. maybe when its 90 deg ambient out. however.. I have an extra heat sink.. I could mount that on the BCS's outer case and still seal it inside of a closed container. But thanks for the info.