Making do with 6 outputs

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
artbrau

Making do with 6 outputs

Post by artbrau »

I am looking to retrofit my SABCO RIMS with solenoid valves and the BCS-460. For starters I can just put the BCS onto the existing pump and heater and replace the thermometers with the BCS-ready probes. At the other extreme there are a lot of valves to consider. Are there are any clever ways to "overload" the outputs?

Looking at my state chart I don't see where that is possible but I am new to this. Don't bother to bend your brain with the details of the chart below since the formatting stinks but you get the idea. G1,2,3 are the gas burners. "Heat" is electric RIM element. I need 10 outputs. I don't see any possibility to link any controls in parallel. For instance, it is always true that when Pmp is ON, Liq5 is OPEN, but not vice versa.

STATE Pmp Liq1 Liq2 Liq3 Liq4 Liq5 Heat G1 G2 G3
Stop X X X X X X X X X X
Prime X X X O O O X X X X
Vent X X X O X O X X X X
Dough-In O X X O X O X X X X
Boost O X X X O O X X O X
Mash O X X X O O XO X X X
SprgePrep O X X X O O XO X X O
MashOut O X X X O O O X X X
Sparge O X O O X O X O X X
Boil X X X X X X X O X X
XferFerm X O X X X X X X X X

Alternatively, will I simply need two BCS units? If so, can the existing interface manage two units or do I have to write my own code to do that? (I can't do that). Thanks!
ECC
Bot?: No

Re: Making do with 6 outputs

Post by ECC »

artbrau wrote:Are there are any clever ways to "overload" the outputs?
Using 3-way valves makes it a little easier to overcome the I/O limitation
http://forum.embeddedcontrolconcepts.co ... p?f=6&t=37
artbrau wrote:Alternatively, will I simply need two BCS units? If so, can the existing interface manage two units or do I have to write my own code to do that? (I can't do that). Thanks!
If you utilize 2 BCS units, each will have their own control page. So you could conceivably use one to handle the heating and pump, and another for the valves. But to get them to run synchronously and automatically, custom code via the Open Interface would be the best solution.

Alternatively, we've been getting quite a few requests for an I/O expander card which would indeed solve your problem, but that's still on the drawing board and I can't give any firm commitment on availability.
HarvInSTL

Re: Making do with 6 outputs

Post by HarvInSTL »

ECC wrote:Alternatively, we've been getting quite a few requests for an I/O expander card which would indeed solve your problem, but that's still on the drawing board and I can't give any firm commitment on availability.
I'll pay for mine now if that will help with development costs! I guess I should prolly get my BCS installed first, going on 3 months of BCS ownership but no installation. :oops: