Brewing All Grain Question

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Brewing All Grain Question

Post by gbrewer »

I have read about this in a few other forums but since I am now using the BCS I was seeking some opinions from other BCS brewers. How many people add the grains to the water versus adding the water to the grains for mash in?
ECC

Re: Brewing All Grain Question

Post by ECC »

I add water first, then grain. I find its a little easier to get the doughballs out. But, like you, I've read on other forums where people have had success both ways.

I can see the argument that it might be slightly easier from a completely automated system perspective (if that's your goal) to add grains first, perhaps the night before, and then add water with a BCS controlled valve. In either case you have to have some mechanism to stir like crazy. For me, doughing-in is going to be the LAST thing that I automate, if ever. Its a very manual process, and fun too.

I'm also interested in what others do.
np0x

Post by np0x »

grain -> water...that way i know my mashtun is at the right temp, and I can monkey around to get it there if not. Plus while water temps come up, i am typically grinding my grain.
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
Backyard Brewer

Post by Backyard Brewer »

I also add grain to water. It's easier for me to make sure I don't have dough balls.

A guy in my club adds water to grain though and loves it. He fills from the bottom though and at a slow enough rate to saturate everything... So he says.
np0x

Post by np0x »

Apparently that's a sabco trick as well. The dough in cold and step up to the mash temps of you follow the manual that comes with the sabco systems.
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
Backyard Brewer

Post by Backyard Brewer »

np0x wrote:Apparently that's a sabco trick as well. The dough in cold and step up to the mash temps of you follow the manual that comes with the sabco systems.

LOL... Come to think of it he has a Brew Magic!
missing_link

Post by missing_link »

For most owners of something like the BCS, I would expect almost everybody adds grain to water.

For me, I fill my system and let it run until I hit my pre-heat temps, then I add grain, stir and set the temp to my target mash temp

Linc
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Thanks for all the information. I was using strike water from the HLT to "strike" the grains. I have been heating the strike water in the HLT and transfering it onto the grains in the MT when the temperature reached 163 degrees. I have been doing this since I started brewing several years ago. With the simplicity of the BCS, both processes are quick.

I think I will try a few batches by heating the water in the MT and adding the grains when the temperature reaches the appropriate heat. I read the thermal loss is only 9 degrees when doing this method as opposed to 13 degrees. Anyone have experience with this? I read it had to do with the sides of the kettle already being heated to temperature.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Yeah, it makes sense that it would be a few degrees less if the mash tun was preheated. Do you use Beersmith? They have an option that calculates the additional heat required to preheat. Look for "Adjust Temp for Equipment" in the Mash Profile section.

But if its already preheated the only thing we have to worry about is the grain. Beersmith is useful for this calculation as well, since the answer is dependent on the recipe (grain bill).