Firmware update on a Mac

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
ECC
Bot?: No

Firmware update on a Mac

Post by ECC »

Has anyone used TftpServer on a Mac to update the firmware of their BCS-460? If so, could you post instructions (or better yet, update the wiki)?
mpilchuk

Re: Firmware update on a Mac

Post by mpilchuk »

I upgraded mine with a mac and TftpServer, I kinda messed myself up and had to do a few out of the ordinary things to finish it.

FIrst thing you need to do is make a back up of your BCS. Do this under System Settings, near the bottom System Save is the area to click and save. When you are done do a system restore. This will put all of your data back on the BCS after the new firmware is in place.

Get and run TftpServer. When you run TftpServer, make sure that TftpServer is running. Bottom left of the TftpServer window it tells you if the server is running or not. If TftpServer isn't running and you put the BCS into firmware update mode (as I did) you will have to do a bunch of other steps to get the BCS back to the point where it is in communication on your network so you can start to upgrade again.

Go to the System Settings page on the BCS and click on "Firmware Update Mode" a requester pops up as in this image
Firmware1.jpg
Firmware1.jpg (41.11 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
Back to TftpServer:
Firmware2.jpg
Firmware2.jpg (127.86 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
The IP address on both of these windows must match. Click OK on the BCS firmware update mode and the update will start.

It got confusing here, When it is done, I can't remember, but I think that the BCS will not be accessible because the IP address will revert to the original IP settings where the BCS will look for a DHCP server for an IP address. If it can't find it, it will set itself to 169.254.0.63. I ended up having to turn off the BCS, unplug the BCS from the network until it self assigned to the above IP. I then had to change the IP address of my computer to mimic the IP scheme so the two IP could talk to each other. THEN I set the BCS ethernet to the address I wanted, reset my computer's IP address and all was back to normal.

Do a restore on the BCS so all of your data is put back into the BCS.

I would update the Wiki on this but I'd like someone to test out what I have posted here to see if I'm recalling what I did correctly.

Mitch
ECC
Bot?: No

Re: Firmware update on a Mac

Post by ECC »

Good call about saving/restoring settings via the config file. I'll put that in the wiki. It was implied, but that's a step that should be in there for a reminder, definitely not implied!