Configuration Version 2 (for me)

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Configuration Version 2 (for me)

Post by gbrewer »

It has been a while since I initially setup and programmed my BCS460. I have made several tweaks and changes to my system since it was first implemented. One of the changes has been switching to a second gas valve and removing the heat exchanger. I did not like cleaning the heat exchanger and it is easier to use a second gas valve since I am recirculating anyway. The second change was the implementation of the float switch using the Din process.

My system consists of a Hot Liquor Tank (HLT) which is heated by a propane burner controlled with a gas valve (#1). The HLT uses temperature probe #1. The HLT also utilizes the Float swith on DIN 0 which is triggered when the water level is empty. My Mash Tun (MT) is heated by a propane burner controlled with a gas valve (#2) and uses temperature probe #2. The Boil Kettle is heated with a propane burner and is manually controlled. I have two pumps in my system and it is 15 gallons capacity.

Process one is called "Brew Day". It uses all available states as listed.

State 0 - Heat Strike Water to Temperature - Heat the strike water to a specific temperature (usually 165.5) while recirculating with pump #1. When the temperature is reached, it beeps.

State 1 - Swap Hoses for Strike - State 1 is simply win0 button. I press the button when I have changed the hose from recirculating in the HLT to striking the MT.

State2 - Strike - This state pumps the water from the HLT to the MT using pump #1. The float valve in the bottom of the HLT is configured as DIN0. When the water is empty as triggered by the float switch, Din0 is set as the exit condition for State #3. It beeps when completed.

State #3 - Swap Hoses for Mash - State 3 is another Win button. (win1) I swap hoses so my MT can recirculate using pump #1 in state #4. Once pressed, it advances to State #4

State #4 - Mash - Pump #1 is constantly circulating the mash. The gas valve is used to fire the propane burner to adjust the mash temperature. The gas valve is controlled as a PID based on temperature probe #2 (150 degrees). It is very accurate and does not fluctuate more than 1 degree during the entire process. I also have a timer built into this process which is set for 75 minutes. Once 75 minutes is up, state 5 is activated. Beeps when complete.

State #5 - Swap Hoses for Mash Out - State 5 is a win button. (Win2) Change hoses as follows. Pump #2 hoses lead from the MT to the BK. Pump #1 hoses lead from the HLT to the MT for sparging. ****NOTE.. The Sparge water is heated to 168 degrees in the HLT prior to this state using a seperate process. When Win Button is pressed, state 6 is activated.

State #6 - Sparge - Pump #1 and Pump #2 are active. Pump #2 is pumping from the MT to the BK. Pump #1 is pumping from the HLT To the MT. Pump #1 is again controlled by the float switch as Din0. When the HLT is out of water, it triggers the float switch which advances the process to the next state.

State #7 - Final State. Pump #2 is still running from the prior state. A win button (2) is associated with the state. The button is labeled as "End process". The button is pressed when pump #2 has completed pumping the wort from the MT to the BK. (This is based on when I feel the pumping is complete) When the button is pressed, the entire process is terminated shutting down pump #2.

I plan on making additional changes to the process. I would like to add two more float switches to the process. I will add another switch to the HLT and one to the MT. The additional switch on the HLT will allow me to use levels. I can add all of my water to the HLT at the beginning of the process. I could (for example only) fill the HLT with 8 gallons of water from the beginning. The strike could use 3 gallons of the water and the sparge could use the additional 5 gallons.
ECC

Re: Configuration Version 2 (for me)

Post by ECC »

Very cool.
BCS Portland

Post by BCS Portland »

You've certainly got a process down! I am nowhere near that level of control. I only have the Mash/recirc automated and everything else uses the manual switch on the panel. I wish I could make up my mind on HLT gas or electric - but then I basically have to rebuild my electronics as I used too small a box, its crowded inside the box.
np0x

Post by np0x »

Nothing says all the ssr's have to be in the same box, just send 5 volt line out to another 'satellite' box and put the ssr's in that box if that suits your need?

That being said, i did rewire everything on my system a second time and much prefer my new box with three way switches and led voltage indicators and what not....
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Here is a picture of a "satellite" box that I use. This is just an extra for me right now. The box with the blank over it contains the SSR. The box on the left is switched by the SSR. This was created to work with a 20amp circuit when I was toying with the heat exchanger concept. I will also be rewiring my box one more time to make use of three way switches as described by np0x. I want to have the ability to manually control the pumps via a three way switch not impacting my current running processes.