Can we give it some Gas?

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
cscade
Bot?: No

Can we give it some Gas?

Post by cscade »

Previously, I have been intending to roll my own control system starting with an Arduino board. Obviously, such a project would be a time sink. I just today found out about this controller, and it honestly surpasses my wildest dreams! There is no question I can do everything I was previously planning with just this box alone. And being able to write my own front ends with the documented APIs is outstanding.

Which makes me dream even bigger. My brew system is a three tier system with converted kegs. I'm running on LP gas. Is there a way to control (with additional hardware of course) both gas flow and burner ignition such that I could automate my HLT and mash temperatures?

The real problem I see is an ignitor would have to operate only until the flame was lit, and then stop. Viking stoves can do this (and even re-ignite when a blow-out happens), but since I have no idea how it must be "magic".

Does anyone have an automated gas-based system? Electric is not an option for me. I have 150 amp service, in the middle of nowhere.
gbrewer

Re: Can we give it some Gas?

Post by gbrewer »

I did some basic research on this when I put my gas valve in place. I started with the ASCO valve and a "PILOT" which often blew out by the wind. I then made the switch to a Honeywell gas valve which uses a pilot burner and a thermocouple. I have yet to have this pilot burner blow out. Even on windy days it maintains a steady flame. If the pilot burner were to blow out, the thermocouple would fail and not allow the gas valve to operate.

The pilot burner is always lit during my brewing session. When the HLT or MT calls for heat, it opens that gas valve and allows gas to flow (as long as the thermocouple is being heated by the pilot burner). The pilot burner then ignites the propane burner. I know this isn't directly what you were asking but it is an automated gas system.

You can do some research for furnace gas valves. You will see several options for electronic ignition. I was considering a valve as you described but the cost was such that it didn't make sense when I could handle the same process with a pilot burner.

The BCS works great with gas. It does not, however, control the flow rate. It is simply an on/off system. I am able to control my temperatures +-1 degree using this method.

Good luck
cscade

Post by cscade »

Excellent pointers. In googling around it seems like Honeywell is pretty much *the* supplier for this type of controller. A few things that concern me are:

- I don't see photos for the actual pilot assembly anywhere, how does it mount, what does it look like? I'm assuming it would need to be mounted to the burner itself, near the jets.

- I am using a 0-30 psi variable regulator on my LP tank, and it is set to whatever works best for my burners (as in, I don't have a measured PSI) yet these controllers seem to have very low PSI ratings being designed for residential supply. Is this an issue?

- Can you post model numbers or any more detailed information, so I can start my search at a known-to-work component and search outwards from there?

Thanks very much for your input!
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

It depends on what kind of burner you decide to use. I use a jet burner and there is actually a mounting hole in the Jet burner for a pilot. I still modified the pilot burner a bit and tack welded it to a bolt to make it easy to remove. (If I needed to remove it) I will try to get you some pictures today or tomorrow.

Here is a picture of the pilot burner that I use.

This would be the thermocouple which goes along with it.

You can always mount a pressure gauge inline so you know what the actual PSI is from your tank. The valve works best at 10PSI.
cscade

Post by cscade »

Thanks for the photos. Very helpful. Can you recommend a supplier for these parts?
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Grainger has all the items in stock but you will pay more. (I found this out the hard way) Almost $20.00 more on the gas valve alone. Do a web query and you will find it for cheaper. You can use Grainger as a baseline.