Process Duration

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Process Duration

Post by oakbarn »

Can you have more than one process running at a time? I like to time my brew day and some of the actual times it took to do something, for example the time from flame off on the BK until Wort in Fermenter. Since I would like to hit my "Start Brew Day” button to start a count up timer as Process 0, but then start process 1 (Mash). I would want Process 0 (Brew Day Timer) to continue to count until I hit my "End Brew Day" button after we are all cleaned up and Equipment is away to get total time in Process 0 (Brew Day Timer) . Which brings up another question: Can you be in more than one state within the same process? :?:

And one more: On a timer, it has the Init Value for time units: I could not find the needed valves to set the time unit (hh:mm:ss)

Init HH = ?
Init MM =?
Init SS = ?

I also assume time is an integer and not a double. i.e. if you set Init HH, then 2 as a time would be anywhere from 2:00:00 to 2:59:59. Is that correct?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Process Duration

Post by JonW »

Yes, you can have all 8 processes running at once if you wanted. Before I went to 2 BCS units, I had my fermenter and kegerator processes running continually and then used other processes during the brew day.

You would likely only have a couple of processes running during the brew day. You can have a process start or stop another process if needed. I do this a lot. I start my MLT process and once it hits strike temp, it automatically fires off my HLT process to get the sparge water ready. Once the MLT process is at the end of the mash out, it automatically kicks off my fly sparge process (which kills the HLT & MLT processes when it starts). The fly sparge process also kicks off the boil process so I start heating the wort in the BK before sparging is completed. This way it only takes me about 10 minutes to reach a boil at the end of the fly sparge process. During the boil process, once I start the boil timer, it kicks off another process for hop additions. That process runs concurrently with the BK process.

Break things down into logical parts of the brew day. Don't think about 20 steps and try to shoehorn that into consecutive steps of multiple processes.

Don't worry about timers being int, double, etc. They are formatted as hh:mm:ss, just setup your times that way. If you try to put in 120 minutes, it will convert it to 2 hours.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

OK. I can see that I can set up several processes at once, have a different start (spawn) when another is ended (killed).

Time is set in minutes and it just displays hh:mm:ss so minutes are the most significant unit.

An Timer Init is a "goal" to either count up to or count down from. For example: if I wanted Timer 0 to be an hour and half Mash Timer, I could rename it "Mash Timer" and set Init to 90. Count up or count down would not mater as I could spawn a process when the timer hit 00:00:00 if counting down or 01:30:00 when counting up.

Correct?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

oakbarn wrote:Time is set in minutes and it just displays hh:mm:ss so minutes are the most significant unit.
No, time is set in HOURS, MINS and SECS. If you just put in 5, it will be 5 seconds. If you put in 5:00, it will be 5 minutes and if you put in 5:00:00 it will be 5 hours.
oakbarn wrote:An Timer Init is a "goal" to either count up to or count down from. For example: if I wanted Timer 0 to be an hour and half Mash Timer, I could rename it "Mash Timer" and set Init to 90. Count up or count down would not mater as I could spawn a process when the timer hit 00:00:00 if counting down or 01:30:00 when counting up.

Correct?
Correct, go up or down, your choice. Once you start really playing around with it, the learning curve picks up pretty quick.