Help setting up Dins please

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
Pesho77
Bot?: No

Help setting up Dins please

Post by Pesho77 »

So im trying to set up an Input to Din0 this starts heating the mash tun and runs a rims pump, i have an imput coming from an arduino but cant work out how to set the Din, the only way i can see how to do it is through the ladder logic page, so using ladder logic i can get the signal in but then cany turn if off or i cant turn it on ?

Where have i gone wrong.

All i want is a signal in so a set a Din0 to NO and a process 0 to NC and wire nc to connect, this wont turn off and then i tryed Din0 to NO this wont turn on ?

oh an i tryed setting the Din to 1 shot too that didnt work either

TIA

Pesh
brahn

Re: Help setting up Dins please

Post by brahn »

It sounds like you're trying to start a process based on an input? To do that you could use ladder logic, or use the din to trigger a state change that would spawn the process.

The Ladder Logic would have the DIN on the left and the Process on the far right, connected with a straight line. Make sure you connect the wires between the slots as well as setting all the slots to NC. If you're on the ladder logic page and have the din asserted, you should see it light up green all the way across to the process to spawn.

DIN X ------- PROC X

You would probably want to treat the DIN as one-shot when you're done, but it will be easier to test this out if it's not one-shot because you'll be able to see everything turn green.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Yes, to start a process, this has to be done in ladder logic.

If you are triggering this from an Arduino, you need to use a 5V input to the DIN. You will also need the grounds of the BCS and the Arduino power supply tied together.

I haven't tested this, but pretty sure you will need two ladder logic lines for this. One that will start your process when the switch closes and another to stop the process when the switch open. If you use the one-shot, then you should be able to stop the process via the HTML interface if needed. If you want the process to always follow the state of the input, then don't use one-shot.
Pesho77

Post by Pesho77 »

" If you are triggering this from an Arduino, you need to use a 5V input to the DIN. You will also need the grounds of the BCS and the Arduino power supply tied together."

an you please clarify this Jon, is this on the 5V side or the 240V side ?

I didnt think of doin this

Thanks

Pesh
brahn

Post by brahn »

JonW wrote: I haven't tested this, but pretty sure you will need two ladder logic lines for this. One that will start your process when the switch closes and another to stop the process when the switch open. If you use the one-shot, then you should be able to stop the process via the HTML interface if needed. If you want the process to always follow the state of the input, then don't use one-shot.
I was working on the ladder logic ui for 4.0 last night and played with this a bit. It turns out that a process spawned via ladder logic runs as long as the coil is hot (in this case as long as the switch is closed). That means you can't use a one-shot din or kill the process from the ui if you start it via ladder logic. You can still pause it from the UI.
Pesho77

Post by Pesho77 »

I was working on the ladder logic ui for 4.0 last night and played with this a bit. It turns out that a process spawned via ladder logic runs as long as the coil is hot (in this case as long as the switch is closed). That means you can't use a one-shot din or kill the process from the ui if you start it via ladder logic. You can still pause it from the UI.[/quote]

Does this include one shots ?

Im sill strugglin with this, this could explain why.

i was expecting to have

Din0 (NO) ------- proc0(NO)
Din0(NC) ---------- Proc0(NC)
but i cant get this to turn off.

Pesh
brahn

Post by brahn »

Using a one-shot din would start and stop the process faster than you could see it in the UI, most likely. Don't use a one-shot din.

Din0 (NO) ------- Proc0 (NO)

Proc0 is going to run anytime Din0 is on, and it will turn off when Din0 is off. You won't be able to turn Proc0 off if Din0 is on.