BCS continue if a power failure occurs?

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
BrewBeemer
Bot?: No

BCS continue if a power failure occurs?

Post by BrewBeemer »

A question was brought to my attention about the function of the BCS 460 while it's in operation and a power failure occurs. Will it continue where it left off in mid process of the brewing session when the power comes back on or will it start at the begining of the brewing process again?
Will it have to be reset or will it continue with it's automated system again from when the
failure began all by itself? Thanks as this question was sent to me by another HBT member.
ECC

Re: BCS continue if a power failure occurs?

Post by ECC »

If a power failure occurs, the BCS will restart with all processes disabled, and all outputs off. The BCS will not pick up where it left off. Users can use the Force State Jump function to continue in a process.

If you want to force the process to restart, you can use the "Force Run at Powerup" setting for each process.
http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/ ... m_Settings
This is particularly useful for single state refrigeration temperature control processes, where you always want it on. This setting will run the process whenever the BCS is reset. It will always start at State0.
gbrewer

Re: BCS continue if a power failure occurs?

Post by gbrewer »

If a power failure occurs, the system starts over. At least that has been my experience. You are able to advance the process to the closest step that you were on once the power returns. I was in a mash step once and the power went out and came back on a minute or so later. It was easy enough to get back where I was. Since this was a timed step in the process, I simply entered manual mode to hold my temperature at 154 degrees and used my clock for an estimate on the remaining 60 minute mash. Once I felt the mash process was complete, I advanced to the next step in the process and the BCS 460 took back over.

I also have installed manual switches on the control panel in case I need them. The manual switches don't help much without electricity since the pumps and gas valve won't run without power either.

A suggestion would be to have a small UPS installed at the outlet for a the BCS460 that would keep the BCS running for a few minutes during a power failure.