Hop Timer

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
brewstarke
Bot?: No

Hop Timer

Post by brewstarke »

I've been playing with the recipe utility and trying to devise a sensible timer method for hop additions. I think I've got something that works. I know there's many ways to skin this cat so here's one. Would like to see what others have come up with. I used JonW's suggestion of running process just for hop additions. I had a 'Boil' process that did some simple output control for my whirlpool pump with some timers and I think I'll end up combining these two into one eventually.
Below is my state window along side the variable mapping.
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (114.08 KiB) Viewed 5616 times
The basic method is to initiate a boil timer (which you can set in the recipe utility) that counts down. Then exit conditions for each addition so that either the state is exited when the boil timer hits a particular value or when it runs down to zero. Then you map out each hop addition's exit conditions time in the recipe utility. Here is the trick that hung me up for a bit. To allow you to simple plug in the times for each hop addition (i.e. 60 min addition is added 60 mins from the end of the boil as opposed to from the start) you need to map each hop addition to the previous states timer- so time of my first hop addition will be mapped to the exit condition of the 'boiling' state above. This way you can boil for 90 mins and add hops at 60 mins (which is what I usually do).
Screenshot2.png
Screenshot2.png (54.18 KiB) Viewed 5616 times
I also have the 'Next State' set to wait for input so that it blinks when it exits. Then I add the hops and continue on with the process. I also do some whirlpool hopping or steeping so have a separate timer for that which functions the same way. When mapping the hop addition times out you can just plug in your times for those additions you're making and enter 0's for those you're not. The state will just jump down through the unused additions.
I attached the JSON file (as a .txt) for this process if that helps clarify things too- funny how such a simple thing as timers can be so mind-bending...
I'd like to have a 'Time to Addition' timer set up so that I can see how much time I have to grab a beer or something but the only way I can figure out how to tie that in is with some math. Being able to do math on variables would be nice. For now that this recipe utility and the new interface overall has really improved the BCS. Good work on that!!
Attachments
HopTimer.txt
(10.59 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
oakbarn

Re: Hop Timer

Post by oakbarn »

That look like a good start for a newbie like me. In 3.7.1 I just saved different processes for different beer profiles and just restored the Process. I have two BCSs. One I use for Brewing and one for Fermenting so I can Restore without worrying about running processes and making an error. I will have to use your post as a guide and start playing with the utility.
brahn

Post by brahn »

Very cool, thanks for sharing! That's similar to what I do, although I have to confess that I'm not using the recipe utility yet. :) I'm swapping between BCS's for development frequently so it's tough to keep the recipe editor working right for me.

JonW and I have talked about adding the time to next addition timer to the recipe utility and having the utility do the math for you. That's on the roadmap.
gyropilot1

Post by gyropilot1 »

so when you program the wait for input and it flash you after the adition hit the next state? I am using this concept but in the nashing grain addition programing
brewstarke

Post by brewstarke »

Yeah, I have it programmed sort of one step behind... For example my second state ('First Addition') will start when I'm prompted by the blinking yellow of my first state ('Boiling'). I hit 'First Addition' and add the hops.
pic2.png
pic2.png (16.71 KiB) Viewed 5539 times
So I'm adding the hops at the start of each step. The exit condition is a timer that is set based on the previous state (either hop addition or step in boil as in the case of my first addition) which is where it gets a bit confusing but with the recipe utility is much easier to keep straight. The exit times are ID'ed as one step but mapped to another- meaning the time to my first addition is mapped as the exit time for the 'Boiling' state. And my time for the second addition is mapped to 'First Addition''s exit condition timer.
I've modified a bit from the original post by realizing I rarely (if ever) have more than 4 hop additions. And I've been migrating towards doing whirlpool additions/hop bursting/whatever you want to call it... So I dropped one addition and added a whirlpool and a 'Knock Out' state. So now I can have 2 whirlpool additions and a timer to track my knockout time.
gyropilot1

Post by gyropilot1 »

thanks. Is like I am planning in my programing. now I have to fiugre how to creat an "IF" programing. I have a limitation on 6 out maximum, due to power (AC) consumption. so when ai run 4 on the mash tun I have 4 more in the HLT. now 2 has temp probe reference to. so this I can control buy temp. but 2 are direct. So I am thinking on using the din to control the direct on-off outpouts. not quite sure yet.

chuck