Newbies guide to mash (very basic)

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Newbies guide to mash (very basic)

Post by gbrewer »

I am writing this topic to help new users get more familiar with the BCS460. I am also hoping that some of the more seasoned users will contribute.

It seems that one of the first things people want to do when they get the BCS460 online is to setup an advanced process. I know I did! When I first discovered my BCS460 was up and running, I wanted to write a long process and get things moving. I knew what I wanted but didn't understand how to get there. I wanted my pumps to run at a certain time, the HLT to heat and automatically pump the water once a certain temperature is met, etc, etc, etc...

I had to take a step back and learn the system because I became a bit overwhelmed. I completed my first brew session (with water) by simply using the push button at the top of the screen. I turned things on, and turned things off. I watched the temperatures and worked it all by clicking the mouse.
My next attempt was running in manual mode. I wanted to simply hold the same temperature for a period of time. Success! It worked like a charm. Granted, I discovered numerous things about my design during this time. I discovered that I was pushing a higher level of propane through my gas valves than they wanted. I also discovered that I was using low pressure burners on a high pressure regulator. I also added, removed, and added back level sensors.

From running in manual mode, I designed my first official process. It is a simple process and controls only the mash. In order to understand how my mash process was deigned, you must learn a bit about my system. My system is a clone of the Brutus Ten design. I have a single tier brew sculpture and use a Hot Liquor Tank, Mash Tun, and Boil Kettle. All heat is provided by propane burners. The Hot Liquor Tank and Mash Tun use honeywell gas valves with a standing pilot. The Boil Kettle is simply a burner. (It doesn't need to be smart, only hot) I have two pumps in my system and some level sensors (not needed for this discussion). It also should be said that I recirculate during the entire MASH process.

Now for the Mash....

I mash at a temperature of 154 degrees (usually). The process is simple. Hold the mash temperature at 154 degrees for one hour. After one hour, ramp of the temperature to 168 degrees over ten minutes. Once ten minutes is up and we are at 168 degrees, hold 168 degrees for ten minutes. Easy enough?

In order to get precise temperature control, temperature probe placement on the mash tun is critical. This has been covered extensively in other articles. Here is an article with pictures about my placement. http://www.gbrewing.com/2009/11/09/mash ... placement/ It is my opinion that circulating wort will not become scorched. The heated portion of the wort is constantly being poured over the top of the cooler wort. It will eventually stabalize.

We will call this temperature probe on the mash tun temp0. We will call the gas valve that heats the mashtun Out0. I also have a pump running during this process for recirculation called out1.

My process is simply called MASH. Mash has three states. State 1 is "1 hour mash". State 2 is "Ramp to 168". State 3 is "hold 168".

State 0 - Time0 >= 1:00:00 / Exit condition is set for State 1 (Ramp to 168) This will advance to the next state once 1 hour is reached.

Under the current state properties, I have the following options for OutO which is my Mashtun Gas. Control is checked, and PID is selected. Temperature Setpoint is 154 degrees. In easy terms, this means the Out0 is under control by means of the PID and will hold the temperature at 154 degrees. The temperature probe for the mash tun is associated to the Out0 under the system settings. Out1 (Pump) has control checked and directly controlled checked. It means the pump will be on during this entire state (1 hour). In the Timer 0 box, I have it checked for enable, checked for "count up". The initial value is 0 since I want it to start from zero.

State 1 Ramp to 168 . Time1 >= 10:00 / Exit condition is set for State 2 (Hold 168). This will advance to next state once ten minutes is reached.

Under the current state properties, I have the following options for Out0. Control is checked, differentially controlled is selected. Out1 (pump) is set the same as in State0 (control checked and directly controlled selected) Timer 1 is enabled, up is checked with 0 as the initial value. It is counting up.

Ramp setpoint mode is used for this State. Ramp Setpoint enable is checked, setpoint to ramp is Out0, start temp is 154, ending temp is 168 with a ramp time of 10:00 (ten minutes).

There are some brew sculpture considerations in using a ten minute ramp. Can your system raise the temperature from 154 to 168 during this time frame? I have tested this ramp with my gas burners and it works well. You can always make the ramp time longer if your system does not heat quick enough for this state.

Once ten minutes has been reached, it advances to the next state, state2.

State 2 Hold 168. Time2 >= 10:00 / Exit Condition is set for Proc Off. This will terminate the process once ten minutes has been reached.

Under the current state properties, I have the following options for Out0. Control is checked, PID selected, setpoint is 168 degrees. Out1 (pump) is set the same as in State0 and State1 (control checked and directly controlled selected) . Timer 2 is enabled, up is checked, and 0 is the initial value.

Again, this state holds the temperature at 168 degrees for ten minutes. When ten minutes is reached, the process is terminated.

Please feel free to contribute to this topic or point out any errors I made so we can correct for others to read. This is a basic Mash process which can work with gas or electric systems.
ECC

Re: Newbies guide to mash (very basic)

Post by ECC »

Great explanation, definitely wiki worthy!

A few notes... I'm not sure if new users really need to mess with ramp mode (although they definitely could, it works exactly as you describe). Ramp mode will linearly ramp the temperature setpoint over a defined time. As you note, it may not ramp the actual temperature if you're system doesn't have the BTU's to match heat to the setpoint as it increases...

But, for someone just starting out, does this matter? I think most people want to heat as fast as possible to mashout temps, so there is really no need to ramp it. Simply entering the mashout state with a higher setpoint will push the system to heat as fast as possible. So in theory, this could be a 2 state process, MASH and MASHOUT. You could say that you'd rather have the BCS ramp linearly for fear of scorching or some other reason, and you'd probably be right if your system calls for it. Or you could say that having a controlled ramp time gives better repeatability. But maybe ramp mode would be better explained to a newb on a slow step, like fermentation control or something.

Just my 2cents, what do you guys think? Well written!
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Good point. They could simply remove state2 and move on to state3. I prefer the ramp method for consistancy and I know that I will get from 154 to 168 degrees in ten minutes every time. I can see the confusion someone might have with less BTU. I am at the stage in brewing where I want consistancy in recipe, process, and fermentation temp.

Not really written for WIKI, just for the new users. I can't wait for them to get up to speed so they can share what they have created.
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

Nice job Gbrewer. Look forward to using this on my system.
jmurm

Post by jmurm »

Sounds just about what i have set up, but i cant get mine to work. It will run through the first state and then alarm, and stop. It never moves to the next state, and i cant even make it go to the next state. On my 3rd or 4th state when i mash out i set my temp to PWM at 25% This picks up heat when its transfered to the BK. But ive never gotten to that state to test it. I also set the exit conditions for each state. I am most likely doing something wrong in the programing, but haven't found out what yet.