Saving recipe utility settings

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
brewstarke
Bot?: No

Saving recipe utility settings

Post by brewstarke »

I recently got a new computer and in the process of migrating all my brewing goodies on to it I made an attempt at migrating my recipe utility settings so I didn't have to retype it all. JonW provided a brief how-to on this buried in one of the forums which I finally found so figured I'd repost his method with a few claifiers-
This just worked for me like a charm.
1) Use Chrome- I'm sure you can use others
2) While at the Recipe Utility page that has all your variables loaded as you want, hit shift+ctrl+i
2) a window should popup either on the side or below your window. It'll have a little magnifying glass, and some headers like Elements, Network... You want the Resources tab.
3)Then on the left side of that window > Local Storage > http://forum.embeddedcc...
4) you should see a Key and a Value column in the right pane - Right click on the value next to bcs-recipe.fields and select Edit "Value"
5) Then Copy that whole line and save to a text file.
6) Then to migrate those settings go to your other computer and follow the same steps as above but instead of copying the 'Value' just paste in your new ones.
7) Hit refresh and you should be good to go.

Of course this isn't just useful for new computer setups. Good as a backup or for messing around with variables etc.

Thanks again JonW for showing the way.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Saving recipe utility settings

Post by JonW »

Thanks for digging that up!

I'm sure at some point we'll see the ability to save the settings to a local file without having to dig into the cache.
brahn

Post by brahn »

Glad you figured that out! I plan to add an easier way to save/restore these settings, but this is a valid workaround.
brewstarke

Post by brewstarke »

Another quick tip that I found this weekend--
For some reason my IP reservation for the BCS changed the last time I booted up so when I headed to the Recipe Utility it had 'lost' my setup. I recovered all the settings by simply changing the address in the 'Value' field of the Local Storage bin under the Resources tab in the Developer window.
As you can see in the image below the bcs-recipe.fields contain the info- so all you need to do is update the ip address to the current BCS address.
Hope that saves some hair pulling...
screenshpt.png
screenshpt.png (96.71 KiB) Viewed 4548 times