Ramp Mode

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Ramp Mode

Post by oakbarn »

I know that you need to choose either Hysteresis mode or PID mode for the Ramp to work. I know that the Setpoint does not "count" but the Start and End Temperature over the time take precedence.

I am thinking up my plans for my Fermentation BCS and trying to get the Ramp Mode down as I will be doing Diacetyl Rests and I think the Ramp Mode should do that nicely.

Also along those lines, I have Cold Crashed as fast as possible in the past. Should I be doing that slower as well?

Does it make a difference if you use Hysteresis mode or PID mode?
Is there a reason to use one or the other?
Or is just its "own" mode and Hysteresis mode or PID mode is just a means to select a Temerature Probe?

Really just want to simi understand how it works.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Ramp Mode

Post by JonW »

My preference for crash cooling is to do it as quick as possible and then hold that temp for a couple of days. I get very clear beers this way without usually having to use gelatin or other methods for clearing.

You'll likely want to use hysteresis mode for fermentation cooling. If you use PID mode without modifying the runtime parameters, you'll likely short cycle your compressor which will kill it in short order.
oakbarn

Re: Ramp Mode

Post by oakbarn »

I assumed that you would want to have it as Hysteresis because it is not an element but a Fermentaion vessel but not so sure about a Glycol Valve type setup.

I guess a good general rule is :

If it is not an Electric Element, Use Hysteresis Mode.

1. Do you have your Glycol Chiller tied to the Valve in Ladder Logic or do you just keep the Gylcol Bath at a Certain Temperature constantly?
2. If you have the constant temp, do you have a bypass to recycle the Glycol on itself and the pump run constantly?

I would think that when doing a Ramp with Glycol circulation, you would want the Room Temp at or above the Rest Temp and just let the Temperature in the Conical to use both the Fermentation heat to get to the Rest. I have a "Cold Room" that I keep about 65 degrees for my Ales and would have the Glycol Chilled Conical in the same room for lagers.