PID Tuning Utility

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
sam.logan87
Bot?: No

PID Tuning Utility

Post by sam.logan87 »

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can give a brief explanation on the procedure for tuning the PID's using the utility? I have just found out about it and will give it ago when I get home. Anyone shed any light on it as I have been unable to find any information on it other than it exists.

Kind Regards,
Sam
oakbarn

Re: PID Tuning Utility

Post by oakbarn »

I have been toying with the PID Utility and can see what different settings do except the Min Integral. I know it has to do with the iState and the Max Integral acts like a % of the iTerm. If the Iterm is 50 and you set the Max Integral to 50, you see that iTerm is now 25. I am not sure what the Min Integral does. The Utility Tuner has made me understand PIDs alot better because you can see an instant change when you change a parameter.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

There is something in the PID Utility that causes a display error in the BCS Settings

This has happened several times and the only way I have gotten the display back is to restore to defaults. I have a backup so I simply restore that after I have Reset to Defaults. Not sure what the issue is or what I actually did in the PID Tuner to cause the issue but it may be when you enter a number Out of Range such as "0" in the Intregal or Determinitive. I have found the Min allowable is 0.1.

I was trying to make a P, PI, PD controller to see if it was better.

The numbers are still there in the PID Tuner so I do not think the Settings are lost, just the Display. Closing or Refreshing does not help.
pid settings error.png
pid settings error.png (17.09 KiB) Viewed 5255 times
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

It seems that just running the PID Tuner causes the issue. I was running a PID for about 2 hours and made no changes to it in Settings or the PID Tuner and I had the disappearing Data.

I am using Chrome Version 48.0.2564.116 m which says its up to date.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

A simple "System Reset" restores the display.
sam.logan87

Post by sam.logan87 »

I am going to be doing my first brew this weekend with the new setup. I will have to see how the pid control goes when I have grains in the mash tun instead of water.

Kind Regards,

Sam
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Good luck. Using the BCS has been a learning curve for me and it is not over yet. I am trying to put some float switches in today and see if I can stop flooding my brewery! :oops: :lol: I have played with the PID Tuner doing several Tests with Water and one element. Once I get the float switches run, I am going to do a full test of a Mash with just water using my modified HERMS. I have four different Temp Probes that I can use for Control and when I was doing it "live", I had best control with the Water Bath which I call Radiator. Doing a Test will allow me to really Test using the other Probes without having to worry about my Mash Temperature effecting the Wort as there is none. :P