Is there a way to "lock in" BCS at a single state?

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
fallingsky
Bot?: No

Is there a way to "lock in" BCS at a single state?

Post by fallingsky »

Hi folks,
So we are a commercial brewery using BCS solely for temperature sensing and control of electronic ball valves on our glycol system. As such, we don't really have much programming going on. Just a single process called "temp control" and a single state called "temp set points". We simply adjust the temp set point manually when we want to alter fermentation temp, do diacetyl rest, crash a beer, or a tank is empty, etc. Anyway, it just so happened today that while checking a temp on their smartphone, one of my brewers accidentally pressed a button on the web interface to switch the process to a different state, which changed all the set points to "null" and closed all the ball valves in the brewery. We noticed it right away and simply stopped and restarted the process to get it back to normal, but it would be nice if there was a way to prevent the BCS from moving to a different state so easily. Is there any way to get rid of the other states, or require user confirmation before switching states, or some other work around that would help us to stay locked into our single process and state that we desire to be running?

Cheers,
Jason
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way to "lock in" BCS at a single state?

Post by JonW »

You could accomplish what you want by putting exit conditions on all the other states that tell it to exit back to State 0 (or whatever state # you are using). You could use a timer value for the exit or even a temperature.

When Temp0 >= 0 then Exit to State 0

Put that on all the remaining states and they will always jump back to state 0.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I have something programmed for fermentation that does what JonW does
Basically go back to My Fermentation Process.
I also use DIN Switches to jump to the Next State that I physically turn on Once that State is Complete.
I set the DIN as an Exit so it will Jump to Next State if the DIN is On.

Example:
State 0 = Primary
Exit on Timer (8 Days)
Exit On Primary Complete (Din 0) = On
State 1 = Diacetyl Up
Exit On Temp
Exit On Diacetyl Up (Din 1) = On
State 2 = Diacetyl Rest
Exit on Timer (3 Days)
Exit On Diacetyl Rest (Din 2) = On
State 3 = Diacetyl Down
Exit On Temperature
Exit On Diacetyl Down (Din 3) = On
State 4 = Continue Primary

and so on.

Once a State is Complete, I can turn on the DIN and if it goes to that State, it will immediately jump to the Next State.
Dins.png
Dins.png (12.13 KiB) Viewed 10253 times
I also have another Process (Cycler) where it is set to Cycle
On Exit of all the States it is set so that Process 0 (My Fermentation Process) is ASSERTED.
If My Fermentation Process is already Running, nothing Happens, but if it is Off, It is Started. Naturally My Fermentation Process starts at Primary (State 0), but if I have turned on the DIN 0 once a State is complete, it would go to the Next State (Diacetyl Up ) immediately.
All of the States in My Cycler have the My Fermentation as to be ASSERTED on Exit are endless loops every minute. State 7 Exits back to State 0.
The Cycler is set to display “Never”.
cycler1.png
cycler1.png (27.06 KiB) Viewed 10253 times
It is set to run at Startup but would anyway as have it set up in Ladder Logic.
The Cycler is also set into the Coil Slot of Ladder Logic all By Itself. This will immediately Start the Cycler after ALL STOP is pressed or a Power Cycle or a System Reset.
Ladder Logic Process Alaws On.png
Ladder Logic Process Alaws On.png (4.73 KiB) Viewed 10253 times
The only issue that I cannot resolve with this is the “Fermentation Timers” which I lose if someone stops hits the All Stop or a Power Cycle or a System Reset.

I also have a Hidden “Fermentation Timer” Process that keeps track of the Times and exits just like the “My Fermentation” but is also displayed never. If some on kills the “My Fermentaion”, I still have the timers running in the Hidden Process. Does not help with an All Stop or a Power Cycle or a System Reset however.
fallingsky

Post by fallingsky »

Thanks JonW and Oakbarn! Of course I didn't deal with this right away and am just getting around to implementing your solutions now that stuff has gotten turned off on accident a second time :/. I don't have any DINs set up on my system so I think I am going to go with JonW exit state set-up, but I am really interested to hear more about this cycler process that can help if All Stop gets pressed accidentally. I have not used the ladder logic part of the BCS programming *at all* so I am having a hard time understanding how I would set it up if the only thing going on in the ladder logic is this cycler process and I just want to make sure that process 0 is always running. Also, how would you intentionally turn if off if you wanted to edit the process, since it is usually advised not to edit a running process?

Cheers,
Jason
oakbarn wrote: I also have another Process (Cycler) where it is set to Cycle
On Exit of all the States it is set so that Process 0 (My Fermentation Process) is ASSERTED.
If My Fermentation Process is already Running, nothing Happens, but if it is Off, It is Started. Naturally My Fermentation Process starts at Primary (State 0), but if I have turned on the DIN 0 once a State is complete, it would go to the Next State (Diacetyl Up ) immediately.
All of the States in My Cycler have the My Fermentation as to be ASSERTED on Exit are endless loops every minute. State 7 Exits back to State 0.
The Cycler is set to display “Never”.
cycler1.png
It is set to run at Startup but would anyway as have it set up in Ladder Logic.
The Cycler is also set into the Coil Slot of Ladder Logic all By Itself. This will immediately Start the Cycler after ALL STOP is pressed or a Power Cycle or a System Reset.
Ladder Logic Process Alaws On.png
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

You can edit an running Process. You should know what you are doing. You can even edit a Current State ( and you do so with the "Temp Point Adjustment". You could accomplish the same with going to the State and changing the SetPoint.) That being said, it is not normally a good practice to edit a Running Process. I however, do it often. I have set up some latching relays that are turned on bu Outs. These are connected to DINs and are exit States. Really simple soultion with the Cycler that will start a Process if it is not Running.