Recipe Utility making me crazy

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
JonW
Site Admin
Bot?: No

Re: Recipe Utility making me crazy

Post by JonW »

Brewtardo wrote:I am getting the same problem. Upgraded to latest FireFox (48) and no change. It worked at one point, I made changes, played around; then now it just won't load. I don't have cookies disabled.

This is maddening. What is more frustrating is that I have to use a webpage (bcsutils) in order to do something the software should do natively, save and load data from my computer. 3.7.1 had this, why was this removed? Why would the authors of the firmware want to make us all dependent upon whether or not I have internet access on a particular day just to load my own config files?

Has anyone else figured out how to get the recipe util to work reliably?
The move to put some utility items into web based functionality was done for several reasons. Some of which include the ability to update utilities without people needing to flash their firmware, the need for keeping the codebase from swelling with all the other new utilities added and the fact that backup/restore isn't something that people normally do every brew day.

It is very possible to use the utilities without needing an internet connection. You can load the page from the web, then simply save it from within your browser to a local file. You can then load the webpage locally just by opening the saved file.

Instead of using the recipe cookie storage option, you can also use the newer import/export settings option.
brewsbytones

Post by brewsbytones »

JonW any chance you'll be publishing the demo again soon? The page has been unresponsive lately for me. I'm mostly looking for the config file.

Also wondering if anyone has a recipe matched to that config - it would be ideal to start from a comprehensive functional template and my rig matches the demo almost exactly, just a few small mods required.
Juangrande

Post by Juangrande »

I'm inclined to agree with Brewtardo. Yes, you can download a page and access it offline, except that you have to do it for every page, individually, unless I missed something.

I, too, currently do not have Internet access at my site and it has been frustrating bouncing back and forth from the manual or any specific utility.

It would not so much of a problem if I could download the entire file index for off-line use.
brahn

Post by brahn »

Yes, you would have to save any of the utilities you wanted to use individually. There are 4 official utilities: Backup, Migrator, PID Tuner, and Recipes. Generally, the only utility that I would expect to be used on a regular basis is the recipe utility. The others would only be used on initial setup or if significant changes to the system or process were being made. Is that not the case for you?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Juangrande wrote:I'm inclined to agree with Brewtardo. Yes, you can download a page and access it offline, except that you have to do it for every page, individually, unless I missed something.

I, too, currently do not have Internet access at my site and it has been frustrating bouncing back and forth from the manual or any specific utility.

It would not so much of a problem if I could download the entire file index for off-line use.
Sounds like you're looking to use the help file offline instead of the utilities. In that case, you can use any of the free website clone/copy utilities that will pull down a complete copy for you in one shot. I've used this one: https://www.httrack.com
BREWMASON

Post by BREWMASON »

Is this recipe utility still in beta testing or is it ready to rip with firmware 4.0? Going to be purchasing a BCS-462 soon and would like to use the recipe tool to import settings at once for different beers. Thank you in advance!!!
brahn

Post by brahn »

I consider it ready to use, but it is very simple and we are still looking for things to add or improve.