HowTo: Voice control of BCS with Amazon Alexa

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
JonW
Site Admin
Bot?: No

Re: HowTo: Voice control of BCS with Amazon Alexa

Post by JonW »

It will jump right to it. Tapping any state of a non-running process in the web GUI will also start the process directly at that state.
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

JonW wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:03 pm
Look where your error is: Error: connect ECONNREFUSED xxx.yyy.zzz.224:46001

Connection refused. Did you do the port forwarding on your firewall? Amazon is trying to reach out to your BCS at the IP/PORT specified and was denied connection.
I simply put in the port that was listed on the BCS under network settings? is there something else I need to do?
and also not sure what to put in the line for "BCS credentials"?

right now its hardlined into my 16 port GB switch, which gets tied to the ATT Modem. Everything is hardwired through the switch, my server, my desktop PC, BCS etc..

thank you!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

wyowolf wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:13 am
I simply put in the port that was listed on the BCS under network settings? is there something else I need to do?
Yes, you need to setup the port forwarding.
wyowolf wrote:
Are you using authentication for your BCS? If so, that goes into the BCS credentials.
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

JonW wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:14 am
wyowolf wrote:
Yes, you need to setup the port forwarding.
wyowolf wrote:
Are you using authentication for your BCS? If so, that goes into the BCS credentials.
Ok, i looked up PF, seems simple enough. Do i just need to PF for the switch? or both the switch and the modem as well?

If you mean do i sign into BCS? no, I just type in the IP address, do i need to remove that line in the code?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Simple enough until expose your network to the internet! I mean this with all due respect, but this is probably the time you take a moment to do some additional reading and understanding on opening ports on your router and make sure you really know what you're doing.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I am also having some issues following the instructions.

I tried to simplfy any changes I made so I only changed a little of the Alexa_BCS_V2-beta. I have been attempting to try to get it to work for a while on my own but have reached an impasse as I do not understand what I am doing wrong. I do have my BCS setup for Remote Access on my router and it is password protected. In the sample I did change it a little rather than putting out the real port and password.

I tried to follow the AWS inststructions. I used the Process 0 Turn on code that you gave as an example to test.
err2.png
err2.png (53.53 KiB) Viewed 15144 times
err1.png
err1.png (157.28 KiB) Viewed 15144 times
Any ideas?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Oakbarn - your Lambda configuration settings look fine.

On the host var, you can't use the 192.168.0.211 address - that is your internal network address. You need to point it to your external IP address. Your router port forwarding handles getting the data to the 192.168.0.211 address. Communication does not come from your internal Alexa device - it comes from the external Amazon servers running your Lambda function.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Yahoo! I turned on Process 0! Simple as Public IP Address. Makes since but I did not think about it since I was sitting in front of my computer on my local network. Did not think about going external to get back in. Now just have to change the js for more friendlynames and figure the trigger!

BTW: What is the friendly description used for?
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

I finally got it!! I tried to send msgs to both of you... but they are stuck in outbox??

i did have to open port 80, I will close it now that i know it will work... how do you fwd to a higher port number like you suggested?

my issue was i entered the IP in the wrong place... once i saw how oakbarn did, it worked just fine...
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

wyowolf wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:11 pm
I finally got it!! I tried to send msgs to both of you... but they are stuck in outbox??

i did have to open port 80, I will close it now that i know it will work... how do you fwd to a higher port number like you suggested?

my issue was i entered the IP in the wrong place... once i saw how oakbarn did, it worked just fine...
Sent a PM on how to set the Port