Logging data to Linux (Raspberry Pi)

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
clearwaterbrewer
Bot?: No

Logging data to Linux (Raspberry Pi)

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

Wondering if anyone has already done logging to a linux based machine from the BCS...

I am using Tilt Pi on a Raspberry Pi Zero W to log and monitor fermentations, and it logs onboard as well as to google sheets.

I bought another one to play with and have mySQL, phpMyAdmin, and a few other things running on it, and thought this would be the perfect place to log my BCS data, and not just temps, I want to know the time the process started and stopped and when to each state..
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Logging data to Linux (Raspberry Pi)

Post by JonW »

Probably two ways to attack this. One would be to have a polling/logging app that would need to maintain the states of each proc/state/temp/input/output and only log an entry when a change occurs. The other way would be to just continuously log the poll data with a timestamp field and then do the comparatives as a reporting function. I think I'd opt for option #1 to cut down on the amount of logged data.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

Hoping someone with more time would find this useful, especially for those trying for repeatability...

Using mine in a production environment on a still that distills 100gal of fermented molasses into rum, and trying to see where we can not only improve repeatability, but also shave time off the process and be more efficient..
bcrawfo2

Post by bcrawfo2 »

Sorry for not seeing this sooner
I poll the bcs every five minutes and store it in a rrd (round robin database). It then is available for easy graphing like this
BEB7DE91-2281-4BCD-BD67-24E8E4039995.png
BEB7DE91-2281-4BCD-BD67-24E8E4039995.png (10.71 KiB) Viewed 8570 times
Let me know if that would help and i can get you more info