Dual Temp control of a process

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
mattraby
Bot?: No

Dual Temp control of a process

Post by mattraby »

I have a herms style heat exchanger that I would like to control. This is actually a 4" pipe, capped on both ends. One cap has an electric element. The cavity of the pipe holds the heated water. The herms coil is submerged in the pipe's heated water. Typical, right?

What I would like to do is monitor the water temp, but the wort circuit output probe will control the element. If I set the wort circuit flow too high and the heat exchange can't keep up to what the process is demanding, the water in the pipe could boil.

I just want to shut off the element should it come to boiling temps. I know that this would slow the heat exchange, but this heat exchanger is not pressure rated, but is sealed with o-rings and NPT ports, so has the potential to become a pressure vessel.

Oh, did I mention that I don't have the BCS controller yet? I am still in the "development" phase of my all-electric brewing dream. This may be a poor question, but I would appreciate some experienced knowledge on the matter.

Thanks.
ECC

Re: Dual Temp control of a process

Post by ECC »

Sure, no problem. The BCS lets you add extra exit conditions to detect situations like this. Heres an example from the demo mash process that adds a 2nd exit condition to kill the process if Temp3 gets above 200. Where as the main temp control Out0:MLT Hat uses the associated temperature proble MLT Temp to hold the temp to 130, the process also monitors Temp3 and shuts down if its above a certain threshold.

rims_exit.jpg
rims_exit.jpg (136.21 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
mattraby

Re: Dual Temp control of a process

Post by mattraby »

Rock.

You just sold another system. This is by far the best available brewery controller available. Thanks for putting it out there fir all us knurds. :ugeek: