Sample States...

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
datamike

Re: Sample States...

Post by datamike »

Could someone post just a very simple setup for the 460? The original poster requested a simple setup for using the 460 for fermentation control. I'd love to see this as well.

For example, my setup will be the 460 output to a relay that controls a 110v outlet. A freezer will be plugged into the outlet and set on its lowest internal temp setting. The probe will reside in a thermowell of the conical fermenter inside the freezer. I want to ferment a beer @60 degrees.

Thanks!
Michael
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

there is already a refrigeration sample link: http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/ ... e_System_1
I hope to start playing with the PID tomorrow. I think its a lot easier than it first appears.
Brett
mpilchuk

Post by mpilchuk »

datamike wrote:Could someone post just a very simple setup for the 460? The original poster requested a simple setup for using the 460 for fermentation control. I'd love to see this as well.

For example, my setup will be the 460 output to a relay that controls a 110v outlet. A freezer will be plugged into the outlet and set on its lowest internal temp setting. The probe will reside in a thermowell of the conical fermenter inside the freezer. I want to ferment a beer @60 degrees.

Thanks!
Michael
First go to system settings. http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/ ... m_Settings
Here you tell the BCS what temp probe and what output you are going to use for this process. You can give them names here that will be used in the process. You also enable the input/output. Notice under output that you will tell it that you are going to use 'cool' for your application.

Then you go to Add/Edit State Machines http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/ ... e_Machines
Here you give your process a name like fermentation temps. and you enable exit condition 0 The example page on the wiki is more complex than you need it for what you want to do. All you need is condition 0 set Temp0 (if this is what you selected earlier) and set the temp to 60 degrees.

It will now control your freezer and keep it at 60 degrees.

I did this from memory so I may be off a bit but it is real easy to set up and once you are in front of it and playing with a live device to control, it gets easier.
datamike

Post by datamike »

I guess that's where I am confused. I thought I saw something in another thread about not needing an exit state for a simple pid temp control. I though exit states were only used when going to another state condition.

Someone please explain it to me?

Thanks!
Michael
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I think the exit condition is a little misleading. Its more like a condition of the state that dictates what the state does and/or when/how it goes to the next state.
whether it be web button, din, timer or temp. At least thats the way I see it. I am sure ECC will be answering your question soon enough.
But like I said earlier in this thread .. its really a lot easier once you are able to turn things on and off with the BCS.
ECC
Bot?: No

Post by ECC »

Yeah, you don't need an exit condition if you're just holding the temp. bsfixit hit the nail on the head. Hold temp via PID is a single state processes.

PIDs aren't generally recommended for refrigeration control, however. They tend to switch too frequently, and may cause harm to the compressor. I'd recommend controlling it differentially. Alternatively, if you really want to use the PID, you could slow it down by increasing the Output Update Frequency in the system settings page. That will control how often the controller turns the output on or off.