Handling Mash Out (sparge) automation

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Handling Mash Out (sparge) automation

Post by gbrewer »

I am in the process of designing an entire new system and want some input on how others are handling the sparge process. I am going to design either a single tier or two tier brew stand. I am interested in making this system more automated. My target is to design a system which is completely automated up to boil.

My concerns are with the mash tun. If I build a single tier brew stand, how would I make complete automation pertaining to the mash out? I would be using two pumps. One to move the sparge water from the HLT to the Mash Tun, the other to move the wort from the Mash Tun to the boil kettle. How do I automate the draining of the mash tun? I would want the pump to shut off when the mash tun is "empty of wort". I understand I can use a float switch in the HLT to handle this process but don't see this functioning inside the mash tun since it would be full of spent grains.

Essentially, I could make a two tier stand and allow the Mash Tun to drain via gravity into the Boil Kettle. Does anyone see a way to accomplish this using a single tier stand?

Again, total automation up to the boil is what I am targeting.
ECC

Re: Handling Mash Out (sparge) automation

Post by ECC »

Can you describe your sparge process a little more? Sounds like you are trying to batch sparge and completely draining the MLT?

I'm interested in what other people do as well. A few ideas... If you fly sparge, its pretty easy. You have one float switch keeping your grain bed submerged, and another float switch in the BK which stops when you hit the target volume. Since many people set the boil volume based on the kettle size (not the recipe), they don't ever have to change. (take that with a grain of salt, i don't fly sparge)

If you want to batch sparge, maybe a grant would solve the problem. That would give you a way to tell if the MLT was empty. You might use 2 floats here, one to control the MLT output (grant not full) and another to control the pump to the BK (grant not empty).

I ran across these on a HBT thread. It looks very interesting as a 'float switch' replacement, maybe for the BK as it keeps it out of the wort.
http://www.stedham.com/sightglass.htm

CJKogut

Post by CJKogut »

OOOOOOOOOOH! Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you. Thats an awesome link that I've never seen. Anyone want to buy the 5 floats I just ordered from Hong Kong?
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I can see the use for this in the HLT process. I think I am going to stick to the stainless floats in the HLT and possibly the MT. Thanks for the information.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

After reviewing different methods of handling the mash out, I have decided to make this gravity based. I will still use one of my pumps for the recirculation process and for pumping water from the HLT to the MT. I am in the process of welding up a new 3 tier system very similar to the morebeer 1550 model.

I'll post some pictures once I get it completed.