Ready to program my ECC system - Words of Wisdom?

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
bsfixit

Re: Ready to program my ECC system - Words of Wisdom?

Post by bsfixit »

Thanks Adam , I am going to have to get those 3 way switches for manual control of the SSR's and set something else up for use with the Dins and see how that works.
Brett

gbrewer... hows the system going? did you run it this weekend?
missing_link

Post by missing_link »

I just got my unit yesterday. It is a bit intimidating at first. I followed the system you have posted earlier in this thread but I think I am going to go with just one process for the whole brew day. The BCS is not controlling my boil at this time, just my 2 heat exchangers and my pumps. I am to the point now it seems to run through and exactly what I want when I want. It even pauses to let me mash in the grain with no pumps on and it pauses to let me swap hoses for the sparge.

Linc
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Post by gbrewer »

bsfixit wrote:Thanks Adam , I am going to have to get those 3 way switches for manual control of the SSR's and set something else up for use with the Dins and see how that works.
Brett

gbrewer... hows the system going? did you run it this weekend?
I still have not had a chance to make the first run. Work seems to be getting in the way of my hobby! I changed the control box around a bit. I made it removable from my brewing stand via a 10 pin power plug. It is a pain in the rear to move my brewing sculpture from the garage to the back patio where I brew so I sometimes leave the sculpture outside for a few days under the covered patio. I really didn't want to leave my conrol unit with SSR out in the weather so I will unplug the unit via one plug and put it indoors.

I will put some photo's online showing the control panel when I get a chance. .
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

thats what I do gbrewer, all connections are connected via plugs. so the control unit can be removed in seconds and brought inside in between brews.
the sensors have their own 2 plug connections (right now I have only 2 sensors used out of 3 ) the SSR's (4) all go into a 9 pin plug. I want to start looking for a float switch.
Or make something with a mercury switch.
Good luck on getting your system up and running.
Brett
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Brett,

Do you use the 9 pin connector from Radio Shack? It is listed as 8 amps per ciruit and I was concerned about the heat in the plug from running my RIMS Chamber. (Water Heater Element). I would hate to have that circuit fail and damage my plug (or worse)
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I do not use the radio shack plugs for the electric elements. Only for the SSR low voltage DC inputs. And for the temp sensors. For a SSR output to the elements I would recommend you use a
male /female plug end from your local HD or Lowe's. (20 amp). I plan on doing that at some point. The reason I use the Radio Shack 9 pin power connector plugs is so I can remove the BCS from the load center where all my SSR's are located. I used a RJ-45 extender so I can unplug that too, from the BCS. The RJ-45 connector is glued into the load center box. I used a 4 inch patch cable from the
BCS to the RJ-45 extender piece. Then I plug my laptop in with a 25 foot CAT5 cable into this connector if I need to change things in the program. Otherwise I programmed the BCS to run process 0 when its powered up .
Brett
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Here is an update of my system....

I initially designed the system to be in a control box which included all the SSR's. I created the box to be removable from my brew sculpture to I could keep the BCS and SSR's out of the weather. I became concerned about running the 120v water heater element circuit through the plug as it was around a 10 - 12 amp circuit. This would create excessive heat on the plug I was using causing a failure risk.

I am now in the process of putting the SSR in one side of a double gang outlet box. The outlet (box) will have it's own power cord and the outlet will be controlled via the SSR / BCS. This will allow my to make the Rims Chamber a plug in style directly to the actual outlet. Less amperage draw on the plug and a safer control box.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

the more I hear about the remote SSR placement the more I like it. I wish I went that way in the beginning.
I ended up running 2 20 amp lines for all my heater element power. So I have 40 amps plus 15 amps from the circuit that is already
there.
Show some pictures when its done gbrewer !
I might brew today. If the allergies dont kill me again today
have a great weekend everyone !
Brett
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Here is a picture of my control enclosure as it was work in progress. I had all (4) the SSR's initially in the enclosure ready to go. One of the SSR's was going to power a heating element. There is a quick disconnect plug on the back of this box which is only rated at 8 amps. (As previously discussed). I removed SSR #4 and it will be placed in a waterproof box located on the sculpture. This was for safety concerns. For this circuit, I will run a longer cat 5 cable to the relay and connect the other side closer to the power without having a quick disconnect. The cat 5 cable for this circuit will run through the quick connect. The pumps are relatively low amperage and will not create the safety problems.

I have attached a picture showing the inside of my removable control panel. You will see a 24 volt transformer mounted on the right side of the control panel. This feeds a 24 volt gas valve. (I do not like the Solenoid type systems) I have a few other pictures of my older contol box using the love controls on my webpage. (Not trying to promote here.. Just sharing the knowledge) http://www.gbrewing.com/index.php?name= ... ls&album=7

bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

looks great ! However don't forget ...any SSR pulling more than a few amps will need a heat sink of some kind. I do not think the plastic will offer any heat dissipation.
And the SSR controlling the heater element will at least need to be mounted in a metal box to get rid of the heat. Keep an eye on those SSR temps. Some other BCS owner runs 240v at 18 amps through one SSR but they are mounted in a large metal box with thermal paste on the backs of the SSR. Good luck !
Brett