Getting things up and running

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
missing_link

Getting things up and running

Post by missing_link »

I got a process programmed from beginning to end.

A few things I learned so far.

1. The states don't need to be in order but having them out of order gets confusing. I forgot to program an idle state for me to mash in, but rather than moving everything, I added it to the end and just changed the GOTO directions to fit.

2. The web buttons are better off being generic. I am going to change mine to start and Finished. So if I program a pause that stops heating and stops the pumps, I press start and it takes me to the mash state. If I am done mashing and need to pause for a hose swap before sparging, I would press finished. I started out trying to have to many different buttons do the same thing.

I have 6 states in one brew session.

1. Timer that I can set to start brewing without my input and a Start button. This indicates I have water in my vessels and my pumps are primed. 99% of the time I will exit this condition using the WIN buttons.
2. Pre-heat. This heats to my set temps and waits for me to press finished on the Win button. I can walk away for as long as needed and it will sit waiting form me to go to the next step while holding the temps.
3. Dough in. This is a pause, no pumps no heat. Only exit on start button to start mash.
4. Mash 1 hour at my set temps. Exit to a pause or manually with finished with button.
5. Pause for hose swap. Exit with win button
6. Sparge. Pumps only, no heat, timer for 1 hour.

Now all I need is for my SSR's to show up and I have to build an enclosure of some sort to house this thing.

Linc
bsfixit

Re: Getting things up and running

Post by bsfixit »

what does your system consist of ? propane, NG or electric heaters?
Brett
missing_link

Post by missing_link »

I have 2 electric heat exchangers and 2 pumps. The heat exchangers run off 110v and work real well for my 5 or 10 gallon batches.

Linc
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I used 2 110v 2 KW heaters on my HLT. I would still like to use your RIMS heat chamber. More on that in an Email. One BCS user used CAT5 cable to run from the BCS out to a distant SSR or group of SSR's . I wish I had thought of that. I could have mounted my BCS next to my router and do nothing but run CAT 5 cable through the attic down to the brew area. But as it turns out, I enclosed everything in one control box and plug my MAC into it via 25 foot CAT5 cable to program/ monitor the brew process. I did create plugs for all the wires. So I can remove the BCS and bring it inside , out of the weather when I am not brewing.
good luck on whichever way you decide to configure it.
Brett