Two stage gas burner

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
ECC
Bot?: No

Re: Two stage gas burner

Post by ECC »

ECC wrote: I think to get the behavior that your looking for, a simple one state process (or manual mode) will work? Just to make sure that I have this straight, you want the inner burner to remain on all of the time, and the outer burner to turn on/off at 210.5

ProcessX Boil
State0: Dual Burner Boil
Output Inner Heat = Direct On
Output Outer Heat = Hysteresis Controlled, setpoint 210.5. (Set the hyst range to 0 in System Settings)
todd wrote: so i want to have this really be a process, but i don't really know how to program it yet.
I believe that the process that I laid out above hits all of your requirements? If not, let me know what else you'd like it to do and I can help out.
todd

Post by todd »

I just finished wiring an additional ssr. This third ssr gets its 24 volts from the gas valve not the transformer in the box. The reason is so that it won't ever allow gas to flow without the pilot being lit. I have tested it on manual mode and can turn the inner burner on, then the outer burner, kill the inner burner and the outer shuts off too. Next step program per post above. Todd
todd

Post by todd »

low fire

high fire

KnowItAll

Post by KnowItAll »

todd wrote:KnowItAll,
The inner two rings will bring the pot to boil without a boil over, it just will take longer. You are correct that I may or may not boil at 212F and what my idea of a boil is different than yours.
Gas is a different animal than electricity, once it's off it's off and no btu transfer.
No needle valves just one setting for every boil.
Can you explain why 50 gals is the practical limit of direct fire, please. Todd
Do you have any background in control systems?
There are limits to what you can automate practically/economically using your type of equipment. I am not saying a control system can't be designed for it. The limit to what can be controlled is only limited by your wallet. There are also limits to how large you can scale home brew style equipment before energy costs impact your wallet. You are talking about directly scaling your current setup to a ~2BBL size. There are some companies marketing these types of systems to aspiring homebrewers, but I am highly dubious of them. Take a look at any small commercial 2BBL brewery/pub and see how many Andy Warholesque home brew systems you see being used.

The idea of a boil is pretty standard- some steam needs to break the surface.
For standard stock pot type kettles-
Choosing a temperature that will repeatably shut off the extra burner "just" as boil is reached is not feasible. It will also be impractical to have a single fixed heat input that will provide the desired boil rate for every batch. The tricky part is the difference in heat input between barely boiling, and boil over can be vary small. The variations caused by hot break (foam) insulating the top; ambient temp and drafts; and even small batch size differences, prevent a single heat input setting or simple temperature only setting to manage boil. It would need some kind of surface boil sensor (or something) to automate an open top kettle with a normal head space (why breweries have capped/chimney kettles)

If your system can really be set (after boil is reached) to one fixed heat input, even with batch variation, hot break insulation, drafts, etc., and still provide the desired boil rate, I would be very surprised. Once hot break has subsided, and if there are no draft issues, a fixed heat input could maintain a steady boil. The big difference with most systems though, is that heat input is usually slightly different based on ambient temp, beer style, slight batch size differences, etc. Breweries use the "funnel top" style kettles to help deal with this, among other things. Are you morally opposed to using a valve to get some adjustability?

There is only so much heat you can get into a vessel using a direct flame, not to mention the energy costs. Heat shrouds to direct/contain the heat around the sides of the vessel, steam jackets, calandrias, etc., are used for larger batches. Larger breweries don't use large versions of kitchen pots, although there could be some freak brewery out there. I just isn't practical or energy efficient. The jacketed kettle the other guy referred to may be a "dry" jacket, but more common jackets are steam powered. These steam devices are sometimes called "direct steam", but it is just a technical/marketing term meaning the steam is not supplied in a self contained package, but instead from a central supply.

A big reason why there is a practical limit to a direct fired kettle is the time required to get to a boil. You don't want to spend 2 hours just getting to a boil. The energy efficiency is another major factor.
Last edited by KnowItAll on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnowItAll

Post by KnowItAll »

clearwaterbrewer wrote:I will throw out two nit-picks...
Direct fired gas can heat a 7BBL system, but by that size, it has to be 'jacketed'. My local Belgian style brewery has used one since it's inception. http://www.saintsomewherebrewing.com/

I stopped having boilovers when recirculating for the entire mash.... the wort is crystal clear...
-mike
You know what I meant. I could nit-pick yours, and say that there is no reason that a 7BBL "has" to be jacketed. A hot rock "internally fired" 7BBL kettle is "possible".

I went to the website. I enjoy touring breweries, even virtually, but they had no decent tour pics or anything. The website was a little painful to use as well. Do they have any (very) sours?

Is their system really a 7BBL direct fire with a simple dry jacket (heat shroud)? The cap on the kettle is a big help for those big systems.

Even with recirc'd mash wort, I have had hot break emergencies. I refuse to add any of those boil over preventers. I hear a spray bottle works well, and will try one next time.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

He has a few really tart specials, but not mass distributed... BeerAdvocate probably has them...

His mash and boil are repurposed milk vessels, yes, dry jacket/vent and a closed top with hatch like many kettle of that size and larger.. they were used by another brewery previously I believe.. the bottom is very convex, which seems to keep the heat in also...

I donated one of those huge 44 jet 300k BTU burners, as his was kind of rickety and it was too big for my 60Gal non jacketed BK.. but as far as I know he has not installed it yet...

here is a pic from a few years back..
080713_003_IMG.png
080713_003_IMG.png (186.83 KiB) Viewed 8140 times
todd

Post by todd »

I'm not an electrical engineer, nor a computer programer, just a mechanical contractor that gets to fix my share of controls. I don't get off designing new fangled things that don't use proven systems.
In my earlier post I stated that the old burner would bring the boil kettle to a boil. The reason for the new one was to bring it up to boil faster and then go to first stage and maintain the boil.
My set up is in my basement and will always be inside.
You are correct that you need x number of btu's to bring your wort to a boil. I set myself the standard of wanting to take 10 gallons of tap water to a boil in one hour. Please be prepared to be surprised in the fact that I've properly jetted the burner to have a nice rolling boil and never shut off or boil off more than what I want.
As far as morally against a needle valve for my burner adjustment, no morals just don't want to have manual adjust available. I've done a few power burners on steam boilers so I kinda know what I'm talking about.

Todd
KnowItAll

Post by KnowItAll »

todd wrote:I'm not an electrical engineer, nor a computer programer, just a mechanical contractor that gets to fix my share of controls. I don't get off designing new fangled things that don't use proven systems.
In my earlier post I stated that the old burner would bring the boil kettle to a boil. The reason for the new one was to bring it up to boil faster and then go to first stage and maintain the boil.
My set up is in my basement and will always be inside.
You are correct that you need x number of btu's to bring your wort to a boil. I set myself the standard of wanting to take 10 gallons of tap water to a boil in one hour. Please be prepared to be surprised in the fact that I've properly jetted the burner to have a nice rolling boil and never shut off or boil off more than what I want.
As far as morally against a needle valve for my burner adjustment, no morals just don't want to have manual adjust available. I've done a few power burners on steam boilers so I kinda know what I'm talking about.

Todd
I was just trying to emphasize the difficulty of determining reliably and automating the point at which the "up to boil" burner is to be shut off, especially for on open top kettle with a liquid prone to boil overs.

I had the caveat in my "suprise" declaration of properly handling different beer styles, specific grav, volumes, and ambient conditions. You basement provides some mitigation for many ambient variables, but there is still some variability. That, combined with other variables, can impact the boil. To set a fixed timer for every brew based on a standardized boil off rate does not seem realistic. Or worse, having to shorten your boil due to a fixed boil off rate that is too high for that batch. Again, I was just trying to emphasize what a "set and forget" control system would require in the way of inputs.

I know how difficult dialing in orifice, damper, and pressure can be, and that adding in adjustment anywhere impacts everything else. It is just that without any adjustability, you are stuck with a fixed input BTU since temperature control isn't much good during the boil. You could use the trick the E-brewery PID controls use (turning off PID) where they fire for a % of the time. They do this very rapidly with SSRs, but you could make the period large, like ~1 minute, and get some adjustability that way without impacting the burner setup, or your solenoids (too much anyway).
KnowItAll

Post by KnowItAll »

clearwaterbrewer wrote:His mash and boil are repurposed milk vessels, yes, dry jacket/vent and a closed top with hatch like many kettle of that size and larger.. they were used by another brewery previously I believe.. the bottom is very convex, which seems to keep the heat in also...
I knew the direct fire shrouded kettles were out there, and used to be standard issue in breweries. I just didn't know how popular they still are until I did some poking around. All of the micros I have toured all had steam. The direct fired kettles have much lower initial costs, and that seems to be the main allure. For your Belgian inspired friend, he may like the flavor it adds as well.

I used the steam jacket example mainly because that is what would be available prefabricated in an 80-100 gallon size. Used, they are cheaper than the single wall kettles of that size marketed to home/nano brewers. If he fabricates his own 2BBL kettle, a center chimney design may not even need to be shrouded, just insulated. I still like the used steam jacketed kettle idea. A guy has a ~100g one that he just fires underneath with the pressure vents open (same for the mash tun). It gives a bit more control over the boil than a direct fired single wall. That setup is fairly inefficient on energy, though.
todd

Post by todd »

So your saying that I shouldn't use a 3 bbl direct fire boil kettle like this one.

But to have one of these for 2 or 3 bbl.....

Do you know how many btu's it takes to boil 1.5 bbl of wort in an hour? Todd