Which to use, RIMS or Mash sensor

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
don.fief@comcast.net
Bot?: No

Which to use, RIMS or Mash sensor

Post by don.fief@comcast.net »

I fired up my new RIMS system today, using my BCS for the first time. Everything worked fine, until I noticed the temp sensor in the mash tum wasn't coming up to temp. Turned out that I had my process controlled by the temp sensor in the RIMS tube, and THAT one was at the right temp, so it had switched the heater off to keep it there. It seems like I should control the heater with the sensor in the mash tun to get the correct mash temp. Is that right? It was about 5 degrees lower than the temp in the tube. Which sensor does everybody else use? It seems like if I was supposed to use the one in the mash tun, there wouldn't be one in the RIMS tube...

Thanks,

Don
gbrewer

Re: Which to use, RIMS or Mash sensor

Post by gbrewer »

clearwaterbrewer

Re: Which to use, RIMS or Mash sensor

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

yup, that link really helped me out with my setup, I circulate 100% of the time during the mash, and have the RIMS temp probe control to the temp I want, I never have an issue with the MLT probe being more than a tenth or two off of the RIMS once the system is stable...

I think you may have a circulation problem, either channeling, improper probe placement, or too small of a false bottom..