BCS control from an iPad

iPhone Apps created to interface with BCS Control Systems
mavantix
Bot?: No

BCS control from an iPad

Post by mavantix »

Is there any interest or anyone already doing this? I've been looking into ways to accomplish it, and so far I feel there are two approches:

1. Use the "Advanced Customization Javascript" option to detect the iPad and modify the BCS's screen for proper fit and function under Safari on the iPad
2. Build an iPad app (BrewBuddy seems abandoned and iPhone only)

Both with certain pros/cons. The default GUI is pretty close to being easily usable on the iPad, so it seems like #1 is the simple way, though it may impose some limitations. I guess based on BrewBuddy there is minimal demand for iOS support. Anyone have anything to add? Know of existing projects that may even need help finishing?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: BCS control from an iPad

Post by JonW »

I've thought about doing an HTML version just for the iPad, but never got around to. I'm spoiled using my touchscreen at 1920x1080, so I really haven't been motivated to make a smaller display version.
mavantix

Post by mavantix »

JonW wrote:I've thought about doing an HTML version just for the iPad, but never got around to. I'm spoiled using my touchscreen at 1920x1080, so I really haven't been motivated to make a smaller display version.
Believe me when I say, particularly after messing with the HTML and JS hacks to get the BCS formatted for the iPad screen, I've contemplated just buying a touchscreen and using your setup. :)
brahn

Post by brahn »

For now, I use the existing GUI on my iPhone, but you're right, it's pretty awful. I also keep a laptop nearby that I can use.

I don't want to make any promises at this point, but I can tell you that both of us on the new development team use the iPad and iPhone and are sorely aware of how lacking the interface is.
np0x

Post by np0x »

Amen brother, i wrote that version and man the design department was simply not present at the time.

I am considering a revisitation to it. I haven't upgraded my bcs in ages so are the features that are blatantly missing from the app that are needed? I would welcome constructive feedback on what needs to be updated and changed on the app(besides the ridiculously low tech interface).

Feel free to PM me or to openly discuss it here. In the meantime I have reduced the price to $9.99.
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
Joyride-Brewing

Post by Joyride-Brewing »

np0x, Jon mentioned that you are considering updating Brew Buddy to work with the BCS-462 with the 4.0 firmware upgrade? If so we would welcome the additional control from 4-6. It's a great app btw!
-Joe
nbyerly01

Post by nbyerly01 »

When I try to get the BrewBuddy iTunes tells me it can't be downloaded in the US. Anyone else have that experience.