bcs.helpers.getTimerValues

Get help and insight.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

bcs.helpers.getTimerValues

Post by oakbarn »

I am trying to use the getTimerValues function but I have not got my syntax correct. I have tried for hours :oops: to manipulate it with some of the () in the function() filled in with various things and the syntax of var timer_val = process[1]/[2];

I am simply trying to retrieve the Timer Value Of Process 1 Timer 2. the variable $('#timer_val').html(timer_val); is on the html page and works when I plug a fixed value into var timer_val ="00:29:00", so I know that html syntax is not in error.

Any help or example

bcs.helpers.getTimerValues().then(function () {
var timer_val = process[1]/[2];
$('#timer_val').html(timer_val);
b
});

I eventually want to get the Timer String and Process State Name as well but not sure of the syntax for those functions either.
brahn

Re: bcs.helpers.getTimerValues

Post by brahn »

First, getTimerValues requires you to supply a process number. Second, the function provided to then() needs to have a parameter that will hold the values returned from the BCS when it is called. So your example would look something like:

Code: Select all

bcs.helpers.getTimerValues(1).then(function (timer_vals) {
    $('#timer_val').html(timer_vals[2].toString());
});
I can't actually try running that right now, but I'm pretty sure that's correct based on the docs.

http://embeddedcc.github.io/bcs-promise ... imerValues

Edit: I updated the code sample here so it should actually work in case anyone finds this thread later and is looking for a code sample.
bbrally

Post by bbrally »

Try this

var process = 1;
bcs.helpers.getTimerValues(process).then(function (timeobject) {
    var timer_val = new BCS.Time(timeobject[2].value).toString()
});
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Tried your code directly and played around with mine and it runs but returns a Null I think as there is just white space in the timer_val div
It is reading the BCS because the other two divs work (from my large temp display)

</label>
<div id="probeSetPoint" class="textStyleSetpoint">Setpoint</div>
<div id="probeName" class="textStyleTitle">Probe</div>
<div id="timer_val" class="timerstyle">0.0</div>

If I hard code a value in the .js file it appears as it should (black text with green background{class="timerstyle})

bcs.helpers.getTimerValues(1).then(function (timer_vals) {
$('#timer_val').html("01:00:12");
b
});
I also tried this code as I like the style better as I am not a wiz at Javascript with same null result. I would think that is equivalent to yours but not as concise. I have used languages that you must declare so it makes better sense to me if I do. :D

bcs.helpers.getTimerValues(1).then(function (ftv) {
var timer_val = ftv[2];
b
});
timer.jpg
timer.jpg (224.07 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

bbrally wrote:Try this

var process = 1;
bcs.helpers.getTimerValues(process).then(function (timeobject) {
    var timer_val = new BCS.Time(timeobject[2].value).toString()
});

That sort of works. I am getting a number that is counting down but the number does not seem related to any value in the BCS. It is also taking about 9 seconds for the last digit to change
The 0.0 at the top is the SetPoint and not the Probe. The Timer 2 should be the Mash but it does not correspond to any of the running times. It took me about 15 seconds to do the screen shoots but the seconds were not close beween the code and the BCS regardless. I ran all the timers in the State for testing.
Here is a pix
q.jpg
q.jpg (218.05 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
bbrally

Post by bbrally »

getTimerValues returns an object. The value you are looking for will be contained in the .value property

Try this

bcs.helpers.getTimerValues(1).then(function (ftv) {
    var timer_val = ftv[2].value;
});
This will only return the number of seconds in the timer. If you want to convert the seonds to Hours:Minutes:Seconds try this

var timer_val = ftv[2].value;
var time_string = new BCS.Time(timer_val).toString();
$('#timer_val').html(time_string);
brahn

Post by brahn »

If all you're trying to do is display the time and you don't need to manipulate it at all, I'd suggest using getTimerStrings instead of getTimerValues.

I just looked at the code and it looks like getTimerValues is already converting the time to a BCS.Time object. That is not at all clear from the documentation. So you should just be able to do timeobject[2].toString() to get the string representation. Again, I would suggest just using getTimerStrings since it does that for you already.
bbrally

Post by bbrally »

That sort of works. I am getting a number that is counting down but the number does not seem related to any value in the BCS. It is also taking about 9 seconds for the last digit to change
The 0.0 at the top is the SetPoint and not the Probe. The Timer 2 should be the Mash but it does not correspond to any of the running times. It took me about 15 seconds to do the screen shoots but the seconds were not close beween the code and the BCS regardless. I ran all the timers in the State for testing.
Not sure about why it takes 9 seconds to display, it's near instant for me.

As for numbers that make no sense, I may not be using the toString() function properly. I ran into this a while ago and ended up writing my own function.

function toTimeString(time) {
        function formatNumber(n) {
            return n < 10 ? '0' + n : '' + n;
        }

var hours = Math.floor(Math.abs(time / 3600));
        var minutes = Math.floor(Math.abs((time % 3600) / 60));
        var seconds = Math.floor(Math.abs(time % 60));
        return (time < 0 ? '-' : '') + hours + ":" + formatNumber(minutes) + ":" + formatNumber(seconds);
}
var timer_val = toTimeString(timeobject[2].value);
Maybe Brahn could shed light on this.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Is is my Timer 2 Mash as I restarted it. When my BCS Read 1:30:00 the code read 0:09:00 so it was off by 1 digit. It reads 9 minutes instead of 90. So it is reading the timer, just not parsing correctly. I think the getTempValues returns a Time String. More Play.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

brahn wrote:If all you're trying to do is display the time and you don't need to manipulate it at all, I'd suggest using getTimerStrings instead of getTimerValues.

I just looked at the code and it looks like getTimerValues is already converting the time to a BCS.Time object. That is not at all clear from the documentation. So you should just be able to do timeobject[2].toString() to get the string representation. Again, I would suggest just using getTimerStrings since it does that for you already.

I am hoping to use the value as well as the String. I want to display the String but change the color via the Value using a stylesheet. I do that with the Temps and am hoping to create a html that flips between Temp and Time and then goes to time only with less than 5:00 minutes. (raw=300).

bbralley code does give me the raw value so I will try the getTimerValues for the display.