Stepper Motor Control

Discussion of the physical aspects
ws6vert
Bot?: No

Stepper Motor Control

Post by ws6vert »

Can the BCS be used to control a stepper motor?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Stepper Motor Control

Post by JonW »

There is no built-in functionality for a stepper motor. What are the requirements to control one?
ws6vert

Post by ws6vert »

I was curious what it might take to control a stepper motor with a threaded rod and a capactive level switch for volume control. The stepper motor would drive the level switch up and down in the kettle and the BCS would then execute the programming off the contact. I guess a separate microprocessor could drive the motor but it would have to communicate to the BCS when it was in the right position and the BCS would have to communicate when it needed to be moved again.

Example:
Filling the HLT: Stepper motor drives a capactive level switch to the fill mark. Once there, the BCS opens the water valve to start filling the HLT, until it contacts the level switch. The stepper motor could later be driven down to a lower setting for Fly Sparging until the contact opens.

Just thinking outside the box for volume control.
BrunDog

Post by BrunDog »

It's pretty far out the box. I suggest you use an analog hydro static pressure sensor. The BCS can't read it, but you can use an arduino or a threshold switch like http://automation.supply/products/mini- ... lue-switch.