Relay burnt out and killed controller

Get help and insight.
wattsbrewing
Bot?: No

Relay burnt out and killed controller

Post by wattsbrewing »

Emailed this to the support email, and was redirected here:

Hi,

Last night I had a relay burn out and now the BCS-462 won't start. No lights or anything on the box itself. I assume this means it's dead. I was going to buy a new one, but I don't see them on Brewers Hardware or Electric Brewing Supply. Are they still available anywhere? We're running our fermenters for the brewery on it and need to have things back online by the end of the week.

Thanks
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Relay burnt out and killed controller

Post by JonW »

Have you checked the power supply? How did a relay burn out? Lightning? Power surge? Sounds like whatever blew out the relay might have caused issues with the BCS too, but hopefully it's just on the power supply end.

Here's some info on the new BCS units:
https://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3069

You may want to call Brewers Hardware and talk to Derrin to see if there's anything that can be done to get you up and running quicker.
wattsbrewing

Post by wattsbrewing »

I think we were just pulling too much power through the relay without proper cooling. The whole thing melted, burned a hole in the enclosure, and tripped the breaker. The relay was in a separate box, so no physical damage to the BCS, but I'm guessing some AC went through the i/o lines to the BCS and fried it. The power supply was going through a UPS, so I don't expect the issue is there, but it's an easy thing to test first.

I talked to Brewers Hardware and they're completely out, just waiting on the new model. They offered to take a look at it though, maybe there's something they can do for it.
wattsbrewing

Post by wattsbrewing »

Brewers Hardware offered to take a look at it and it was completely shot. I need a fix ASAP, the brewery is down to 1 fermenter on a johnson temp controller ha. Any chance to you have a stray 462 (or 460 for that matter) laying around that we could buy off you? We don't have time to wait for the new version.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Let me check what I have. I may have a board with a bad I2C that is useable for all other features. Is your case still at BH?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Also found this one still available on HBT: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/thre ... 62.632730/