BCS-482 Specifications (replacement for BCS-460/462)

Things to come.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Re: BCS-482 Specifications (replacement for BCS-460/462)

Post by oakbarn »

I am trying to orient the BCS 482 in the existing enclosure. How much room do I need for the future RS 485 widget enclosure. Can I assume that it will be connected with a two wire lead and placed within the wiring lead distance? I am orienting generally with the headers with just enough room to work with them (an to remove if necessary). I am going to orient 90 degrees to my old BCS 462 where I had the Headers on the top and bottom. I want the reset button accessible without removing the BCS.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Along the same line. How will the USB Update work? Just a cable or some special widget?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

oakbarn wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:35 pm
Wiring: Do we need the ac ground connected to the BCS 482 GND. Will it hurt if we do?
Yes, it is still good practice to ground the DC circuit. The reason being is that it creates a ground reference, which can be beneficial in components that do measuring, e.g. temp probes. Feel free to run without the additional grounding and report back your findings. I personally have not disconnected my ground and tested the 482 this way.
oakbarn wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:00 pm
How much room do I need for the future RS 485 widget enclosure.
The first two expansion boards we're finishing up on right now are internal boards. They will attach to the current 482 board and have their connectors on the back side of the case (same end as usb/rs485). These two boards are configured to give you an additional 8 in/8 out or 8 temp/8 out. The other rs485 expansion options that are in the works are too early to give details on size.

oakbarn wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:21 am
Along the same line. How will the USB Update work? Just a cable or some special widget?
USB updates are simple and done by plugging in a mini-usb cable and running the updater software. When the next firmware update is available, we will provide a link to the downloader programs. Most Linux distros already include dfu-util which can be used.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

OK. So if I get one of the expansion boards, You would take the faceplate off the usb/RS485 side and slide in the board? The way I read it is that the enclosure will house the two exp boards in the same foot print. I also noted that there are now LEDs when an Out is asserted. I assume the same on DINs as I have not gotten that far yet with my new wiring. Will the Out ASSERTED LEDs still be visible with an exp board in place. I am thinking of orienting the BCS 482 where I can see those new LEDs.
OUTASSERTEDLED.png
OUTASSERTEDLED.png (176.34 KiB) Viewed 865972 times
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

oakbarn wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:28 pm
OK. So if I get one of the expansion boards, You would take the faceplate off the usb/RS485 side and slide in the board? The way I read it is that the enclosure will house the two exp boards in the same foot print. I also noted that there are now LEDs when an Out is asserted. I assume the same on DINs as I have not gotten that far yet with my new wiring. Will the Out ASSERTED LEDs still be visible with an exp board in place. I am thinking of orienting the BCS 482 where I can see those new LEDs.
The expansion boards will come with a new faceplate that replaces the rear plate. You will only be able to have 1 of the expansion boards installed within the 482 chassis. I really wouldn't worry about being able to see the LED's during a brew day. They're really only there for troubleshooting and testing. The expansion board will not block them. There are no LED's for the DIN's.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

bcs482 pinout.png
bcs482 pinout.png (68.66 KiB) Viewed 865960 times
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

What is that for Oakbarn?
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Since the I2C is a Pin Connector, does it provide the 12 vdc + and - ?
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

oakbarn wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:54 pm
Just got mine. The headers are all tight and I would have to pry them out like on my BCS 462. Looks like it is an issue for you.
After I got mine all wired finally, one of the headers comes out very easily. I have to hold my mouth just right to get it to stay and cannot work with any of the wiring without it falling out.
Broph

Post by Broph »

While waiting for my replacement endcap, I created a temporary endcap using the plastic from an iPhone armband (that I wasn't using). It's thin enough to stay out of the way, easy to cut and sturdy enough to use for a cover. I used the endcap that came with my BCS482 to draw out the template to cut the holes for the headers and network connection. With that in place the connectors all fit snug. Hopefully soon the replacement will show up.
Attachments
cover2.jpeg
cover2.jpeg (46.59 KiB) Viewed 865874 times
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery