BCS482 and 3 wire RTD probers

Discussion of the physical aspects
RyanC
Bot?: No

BCS482 and 3 wire RTD probers

Post by RyanC »

Guessing this is probably a dumb question, but I couldn't find an answer that made sense.

I have a few probes from brewershardware for the BCS that have 3 wires, 1 ground and 2 not. What am I actually connecting to the BCS controller? I understand that I have 8x temp inputs, and 2x ground inputs. Based off that though, what specifically am I supposed to be connecting from the temp probes themselves?

Thanks in advance for the help, and apologies if this has already been answered, it's my first jump into anything like this.
-Ryan
JonW
Site Admin

Re: BCS482 and 3 wire RTD probers

Post by JonW »

The BCS units use thermistor 2 wire temp probes, not 3 wire RTD's.
RyanC

Post by RyanC »

I may just be straight wrong calling them RTDs and mixing them up with thermistors, these are the ones I have: https://www.brewershardware.com/1-2-MPT ... F1204.html

That's not an RTD, but a thermistor, right?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Yes, those are thermistor probes. If the wiring has 3 wires, one is unused. Hook up black to ground and white to the temp probe input on the BCS. If you don't get a reading, swap the white wire for whatever other color is there. They are not polarized (e.g. no positive/negative), so you could just hook up any two wires to see which ones give you the temp reading.
RyanC

Post by RyanC »

So, turns out the temp probes are only two wire, and the third non-shielded thing wasn't a wire at all, it was just a spare lead for tension. Thanks for the help, just tested all the probes and they are working exactly how you'd expect!