Thanksgiving & BCS

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Mach79
Bot?: No

Thanksgiving & BCS

Post by Mach79 »

Here's a question, wondering if anyone has done this....

We have an older ss brew kettle which has a TC compression fitting. Our heating elements are on TC fittings, we were thinking of putting our 4500 watt element into the old brew kettle and using the BCS to fry a turkey. We have fried turkeys many times for Thanksgiving. The BCS seems like a better/safer option. No open flame frame propane and the heating element is controlled precisely by the BCS software.

Thoughts.....
oakbarn

Re: Thanksgiving & BCS

Post by oakbarn »

I have used the BCS to control non brewing gadgets. While I have not done the Turkey fryer, it seems to me that the same principal applies to commercial french fry fryers. I know some have an element that heats the oil.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/docume ... 4espec.pdf
Mach79

Post by Mach79 »

Thanks for the reply. I've been researching this compared to commercial fryers & I am convinced this is a safer option vs propane burner setup. Stable platform, no open flame, emergency shutoff, etc.... thanks
bbrally

Post by bbrally »

You may find the thermistor unable to deal with the heat of the oil. I tried to control a coffee roaster a long time ago and the it worked for a while, but failed when the thermistor got too hot. Most thermistors aren't designed for temps too far above boiling.
Mach79

Post by Mach79 »

Great point...thanks for the response. After some thinking & trouble-shooting in my head, I decided not to use the BCS control panel to do the heavy lifting on ThxGv'ing. Couple points which led me....the oil on the thermo probes (your point) and the oil being used on the heating element. I value the beer quality. There are a number of way to ensure the oil is completely removed & ready for a new batch of beer, but is it "really" ready for a new batch of beer.....hmmmm?

I opted for a Mastercraft Butterball XXL Indoor Turkey Fryer from Amazon ($140). The indoor fryer has plenty of room on the brewing table, so the vent hood will assist in removing the turkey frying odors. Plenty of electrical outlets are available on the brewing table....the indoor fryer is great for turkeys, fish, fries, donuts, etc.....

Thanks again for the input/response