WIFI Option for BCS460

Discussion of the physical aspects
gbrewer
Bot?: No

WIFI Option for BCS460

Post by gbrewer »

I purchased a "Beer Brewing" gadget today from Walmart. $59.99 for a NETGEAR Universal Wifi adapter. I was able to plug the BCS460 into the adapter and create a connection to my main router. Seems to be working great so far. http://www.gbrewing.com/2010/10/24/wifi ... r-brewing/
bad coffee

Re: WIFI Option for BCS460

Post by bad coffee »

Looks good.
alowell

Post by alowell »

Hey gbrewer,
I bought the same WiFi adapter that you did and I am getting ready to hook it up and fire it up. Any evident problems that I might run into or snags that you came across in hooking up the WiFi adapter to the BCS? Any tips before I fire it up woudl be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

No. This thing is simple. Used it on the BCS as well as my PS3 and Directv..
jkurl

Post by jkurl »

I just picked one up off of Ebay for $39 brand new. Thanks for the recommendation.
mrlisk

Post by mrlisk »

Just a quick question as I'm putting together a shopping list for my future BCS setup - Can this universal adapter be configured to work on a secure network?

I'm assuming (hoping) i can simply "program" it on my laptop before connecting it to the BCS, that way it already has the name/password for my network. Or is there some other wifi lingo/tricks i'm unaware of to accomplish this?

Thanks!
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I have security on my network and it seems to work fine. You can look at all the information about the device online. There was a short setup which was completed with the device connected directly to my laptop.
mrlisk

Post by mrlisk »

OK, great. Thanks for the info!
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

So I bought the Netgear and hooked it up to my AirPort Extreme no problem. When I go into the AirPort Utility to see my connected devices, I see the Netgear adapter, but do not see the BCS-460. I can direct connect to my MacBook Pro no problem. I ran the BCSFinderUtility and it couldn't find the BCS either.

Any ideas?
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

Just a follow up, I set a static IP in both my router and BCS-460, corrected the subnet mask (it was defaulted to 255.255.0.0 in the BCS and my network uses 255.255.255.0), added my router address, and forwarded port 80. I'm not sure if I had to do all of that, but something in that mess worked. So I'm now wireless with my BCS!