WIFI Option for BCS460

Discussion of the physical aspects
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Re: WIFI Option for BCS460

Post by gbrewer »

Glad it worked out. I was pretty excited when I got the BCS to work wireless as well.
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

gbrewer wrote:Glad it worked out. I was pretty excited when I got the BCS to work wireless as well.
Did you leave all your settings dynamic? Or did you assign static values?
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I am running static settings.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

It is important that the subnet of the BCS-460 is on the same subnet as the wifi adapter. You had asked about the static settings. I do have the BCS 460 set as static. I bought a new NETGEAR router which has an option called address reservation. I reserve the address for the wifi device which gets the same IP as the static setting in the BCS460.
mrlisk

Post by mrlisk »

Here's my input on this: Go with DD-WRT!!!

I replaced my main router with a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH for range reasons (well worth the $80 and works a LOT better than the Apple Time Capsule it replaced). After doing this, I decided DD-WRT was the way to go. I picked up a Buffalo WHR-G300N for $40 and updated the firmware to DD-WRT (go to the DD-WRT site for details on this particular model).

I set up both routers to support WDS (the main being a WDS AP and the secondary being a WDS station). I now have the $40 router outside in my barn hooked up to the BCS and it works great. Considering the netgear adapter costs nearly $60 and you get very little functionality out of it, I think this is an optimal approach to the WiFi'd BCS situation.

You could also configure other routers to run DD-WRT, and you may even have a couple kicking around that you could put into place for $0 investment.

Cheers!

Matt
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I was using the DD-WRT method with an old wireless router I had floating around the house. I didn't like the size of the router in combination with my control box. The unit I described takes up a very small foot print. It's also my opinion that some of the users on here may not have the ability to get the DD-WRT flashed on the router causing it to become a brick.

The DD-WRT method worked great for me, I just like this new option. :D Gadgets!
IheartTRAIL

Post by IheartTRAIL »

Thanks for the tip. I picked one of these up and it works great. VERY easy setup!
bruin_ale

Post by bruin_ale »

I agree on the dd-wrt.. I picked up a linksys wrt54g from craigslist for $15, went home and put dd-wrt on it and had my BCS on the internet in about an hour for a total cost of $15. That, and I can configure it as a repeater bridge to extend my wireless range a little bit into my backyard. Yeah, could have paid $60 for one of these netgear deals - but really liking the option I went with.
TrickyDick

Post by TrickyDick »

Somewhat off topic, but not entirely. I was going to wire my BCS direct to a switch I have. I realized that the BCS has a fixed IP. Can the BCS IP be changed? If not, I may need to use a WiFi adapter. My home network uses DHCP, but I use my router to reserve the IP addresses of all the machines, and changed my home to 10.10.10.XXX so its easy to remember what the numbers are for each machine. Mostly this has worked very very well for me. WiFi devices are coming and going off the grid so I let the router determine their IP when they join. I'm thinking I will probably have to do the same with the BCS; go WiFi.

Thanks

TD
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Good to hear it's working out.