No 5v output

Get help and insight.
beerbaronaaron
Bot?: No

No 5v output

Post by beerbaronaaron »

Hello,

I purchases a BCS 462 a few months ago, and finally got around to working on wiring it up to something this weekend. I seem to be having a problem getting a 5v signal out of the controller.

Here is what I have done:
- Manually turned on the output. Tried measuring the output with a multimeter with one side grounded to one of the bcs grounds but was unable to get a reading.
- Hooked up a jumper from Output 1 to Din0. Green light on the BCS for DIN0 lights up, but still no reading on the multimeter.
- Tried measuring the output of the +5vdc (which I assume is always hot?), no measurement on the multimeter.
- Tested the multimeter on a known 24vdc supply and got a correct reading.

Not sure if I am just doing something wrong, but I don't understand why I am not getting a 5vdc reading when the output shows it is on. I've read on the forum that the 5v output runs on a separate curcuit than the control curcuit. Is it possible that it is a hardware issue with the 5v system? If so, why would the DIN show a input??
ECC

Re: No 5v output

Post by ECC »

If the DIN lights up when looping back the output, my guess would be a problem with the measurement. The BCS has to be picking up a non-zero voltage at the DIN pin for it to activate.

Are you measuring between the BCS GND pin and the OUT (and/or the BCS GND and +5VDC pin)?

Also, does your mulitimeter measure down to 5vdc? I've seen some models that are only good down to 12v. The only other thing to double check is you have it in DC mode (not AC).
beerbaronaaron

Re: No 5v output

Post by beerbaronaaron »

I figured it out. User error.

Apparently, there is some sort of coating or something on the screws that did't allow we to get a good ground with the multimeter. After I scratched the screw a little with the tip of the multimeter I got a 5 VDC reading.

Thanks for the help.