HowTo: Voice control of BCS with Amazon Alexa

Describe your system and processes, and post your config file.
TheAleMaster
Bot?: No

Re: HowTo: Voice control of BCS with Amazon Alexa

Post by TheAleMaster » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:28 pm

I somehow figured it out. In my Alexa Skill I had it set Payload version = v3 per Amazon's recommendation as v2 is deprecated (screen shot below). I changed it to v2 and everything worked fine. I went back into the Lambda JS and changed the following:
  • The value for payloadVersion to 3 on lines 123, 269, 368, and 534. I didn't find any others.
  • The value for version in each appliance object to 3.
I then published the Lambda, updated the ARNs in my skill, and changed the Payload version from v2 back to v3. Didn't work. I changed it back to v2 and it worked again. I'm not sure where the update is that needs to be made to use v3.

Also, I'm assuming I'll need to change my IP address constantly unless I purchase a static IP address from my ISP, yes?

JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:02 am

You could always use a dynamic DNS service and point the Lambda function to that name instead of an IP. For a while they weren't letting you select V2, so good you were able to do so. If I get time one of these days, I'll update it for V3. Not really sure how many people actually use it.

TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:41 pm

Got the dynamic DNS rolling and slapping a cron job on my RaspberryPi to keep it updated.

I found these links that detail the difference between payload v2 and v3. I may give it a go in the next couple of weeks.

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/smart ... code-to-v3
https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alex ... -skill-api